FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
438 views 9 comments
by anonymous

Hello,
Messages logged via ubus call log write_ext lack the system name, this confuses syslogd:
   Feb 8 18:11:03 Mobile data disconnected (internal modem)
and:
      Feb  8 18:11:05 lgrrutx.lg netifd: mob1s2a1 (7700): Quering active sim position
go to different files, making the sequences of events hard to follow.

Regards,

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

Could you explain it more in details. From what I understand you are pointing out the result of ubus call and syslog. 

Where UI logs are giving this result:
Feb 8 18:11:03 Mobile data disconnected (internal modem)

and CLI logs is like this: 
Feb  8 18:11:05 lgrrutx.lg netifd: mob1s2a1 (7700):

Regards,
Jerome

by anonymous

Hello Jerome,

Ok, got it. logread is started without the -h option so the remote syslogd may or may not cope very well and in the ubus call log write_ext originating messages it doesn't. Result: rsyslogd clutters the log directory with a lot of seemingly unrelated files which are a pain to reconcile.

Here is a patch against /etc/init.d/log it adds the -h option to logread. Now rsyslogd coalesces all the RUTX11 log messages in one file only. Could you insure that it will be included in the next release ?

=================================================================== 

--- log-old	2021-02-09 15:48:12.814407941 +0100
+++ log	2021-02-09 16:04:24.616430206 +0100
@@ -69,9 +69,10 @@
 	}
 	[ "${log_remote}" -ne 0 ] || return
 	[ -z "${log_ip}" ] && return
+        [ -z "${log_hostname}" ] && log_hostname=$(cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname) 

procd_open_instance
-        procd_set_param command "$PROG" -f -r "$log_ip" "${log_port}" -p "$pid_file"
+        procd_set_param command "$PROG" -f -h "$log_hostname" -r "$log_ip" "${log_port}" -p "$pid_file"
 	case "${log_proto}" in
 		"udp") procd_append_param command -u;;
 		"tcp") [ "${log_trailer_null}" -eq 1 ] && procd_append_param command -0;;
===================================================================

Regards,

by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback about it will be added to a nice to have features list but it is uncertain if it will be developed.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,
Jerome
by anonymous
Hello Jerome,

This is not a "nice feature to have" but rather a bugfix, vanilla OpenWRT does it by default and so does dd-wrt.

Regards,
by anonymous
Hello,

Currently consulting RnD team. I will let you know, once I receive feedback.

Regards,
Jerome
by anonymous
Hello,

Sorry for the long wait,

It will be best to talk about this issue of yours with your sales account manager for further discussion.

Regards,
Jerome
by anonymous
Hello Jerome,

Thank you but I don't have a sales manager, I am a very small user. And the fix is so simple it is easy to apply the patch after each firmware upgrade.

Regards,
by anonymous
Hello,

For this scenario, we can only wait and see if our RnD team will implement this.  Only that we cannot promise you that it will be implemented or when it could be implemented.

Regards,
by anonymous
Hello Jerome,

As it is the default in recent versions of OpenWrt, it should appear in a future firmware upgrade.

Regards,
by anonymous
Hello Jerome,

Good, it is fixed in version 00.07.00 with a flag to enable the logname option.

Regards,