FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
277 views 4 comments
by anonymous
I am building a simple remote monitoring/control system based on MODBUS RTU I/O´s, RS485, DDNS and WEB based HMI.

There are 2 choises in the Services/RS 485 configuration module that seems relevant: "Over IP" and "Modbus Gateway". What is the difference between these two, and which should be used?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The Over IP serial type is used to manage serial connections over a TCP/IP network.  

The Modbus Gateway serial type allows redirecting TCP data coming to a specific port to an RTU specified by the slave ID. The slave ID can be specified by the user or be obtained directly from the Modbus header.

Regards.

by anonymous
Hello back,

Yes, this is what it says in the manual, but I don´t really understand the difference. Which is the better choise for remote manitoring/control?
by anonymous
Hi,

Could you explain your vision of what do you expect to control (how) in your use case and I will recommend the most fitting option.

Regards.
by anonymous
It´s quite simple: the chain consists of:

* some I/O slave devices communicating with Modbus RTU protocol over RS485

* TRB255 configured for transparent communication to/from RS485 connection over 4G

* Dynamic DNS service from Loopia.se

* HMI programme working with Modubus RTU over internett
by anonymous
Hi,

In your case Over IP control mode should be sufficient enough. With this method, you should be able to reach your devices connected to the router via the RS485 serial port.