FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
569 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Can you advise what steps I can take to get the best upload performance on a RUT240 on Vodafone in NW England please?

I have a 160Gb data sim from Vodafone, and when testing in any phone (at my desk) I am getting 25Mbps down and 25Mbps up (Ive tried 2 different brand phones), yet inn the RUT240 I am getting 2Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up.

Can you share some steps to increase this please, I need a solid platform for streaming to YouTube.

Thanks

John

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

It's unfortunate that you're having these issues, but I will try my best to help you.

1. Have you checked if your device runs on the latest firmware update? If no - please update it, as the latest firmware will contain many fixes and changes.

2. Are antennas screwed in tightly? It is important as they are the reason your device keeps a better signal at all times. Also, you might want to check that you're not only connected to 4G, but also have a good signal on it. Move your router around the location and see where you're getting the best signal.

3. Lock your bands. Check what bands are used with your operator and which ones give the best performance. If you're sure that operator's cell towers are nearby - you should definitely lock the bands.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT240_Mobile#Network_frequency_bands

4. Lastly, try different SIM cards, it could also be that your operator may be blocked the SIM from being used in modems, as it might be against their policy to use mobile plans on routers? Who knows.. But make sure you tried different operators with the device that you have.

EB.
by anonymous
Thanks EB.

Unfortunately non of this worked.

I upgraded the firmware.

I not only ensured the antennas are in correctly, but I have even bought large antennas from quality suppliers to try and improve the signals.

I tried locking bands.

I checked with my provider, they do not block devices, in fact they advised on this specific package for this purpose.

It seems the weak point is the RUT240, every other device I have tried gets a better speed.  I am seeing RSRP of -110 on the RUT240.

I am open to ideas, what can I do?  Is there any upgrade that would give Uplink Carrier Aggregation to the RUT240?

Thanks

John
by anonymous
CA unfortunately is not an option on RUT240. For that, you would need a device of our RUTX series.

Could you tell me where is the device located? RSRP signal really seems not great looking at what average you should get.
by anonymous

Thanks EB

Right now the device is in an upper floor room,  next to my desk.  It was purchased to give me good signal for upload when out and about in fields filming sports or events so that I could stream them live without issue.

On Cellnet I am roughly HERE

I assumed it was because I was not using correctly, or I needed higher antenna, but I now have 2 antenna, one is a 5' antenna N-Type (link) which I put on top of a 10' tripod and connected up.  The second is this one from UniteCom (link).

This is what I am seeing on the network screen:

Sim card state is Ready

Signal          -73 dBm

RSRP        -106 dBm

RSRQ         -15 dB

SINR          -0.5 dB

Operator is Vodafone UK

Operator State is Registered (home)

Connection Type is 4G (LTE)

Connected Band is LTE BAND 20

Any advice on what I can try is very welcome

Thanks

John

by anonymous
Hi,

Could you please use default antennas provided with the box of the device? Does the values change in that case?

EB.
by anonymous
ok, so I have ordered a QuMax antenna, as per the recommendation on the Teltonika site.  Hopefully this will resolve the issues (fingers crossed).

John