FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
375 views 6 comments
by anonymous
Hi, I'm new to Teltonika and have a question regarding my RUTX11 running firmware version RUTX_R_00.02.06.1. When I view the location of the RUTX11 in PMS using devices/device details/location the shown map location is wrong by about 200 meters when compared to looking directly at the RUTX11 web UI using services/GPS/map. The direct device location is correct. How can I correct this discrepancy?

Thanks for your help
by anonymous
Came here as I've just noticed the map pin on RMS is way off. I'm literally paying for RMS for this only reason. I'd like to track the location of my van.

I'm surprised this appears to be a simple rounding issue and it still hasn't been fixed 10 months after it was discovered.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Is the device showing a more accurate location in its WebUI or is it also over 200 metres from the spot it should be?

EB.
by anonymous
Hi EB,

Yes the WebUI is very accurate. I think I may have identified the problem, but not a solution. RMS appears to be rounding the location down to 3 decimal place but the WebUI shows 6 decimal places. RMS is showing Lat xx.085 and Long xxx.69 but the WebUI is showing xx.085369 and xxx.688025. Any ideas?

Keith
by anonymous
Hi,

In that case, I believe it's not really possible to identify this as an issue because RMS GPS location function isn't for "exact location" purpose.

If you'll check GPS monitoring, you can set it to refresh at a minutes (or hours) rate and you would not get an exact location with that anyways. So forcing RMS to check and point you at the exact xx.xxxxxx123 coordinate every X seconds would be overkill for so many devices in the system. Basically, that map is for you to navigate easier through your devices if you know their locations around the world.

EB.
by anonymous
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Whilst I do understand that that RMS is not intended to be a real time tracking system I do not agree that RMS is not intended to show accurate data as sent by monitored devices. What about other monitored data streams, are these accurate or are they also approximated? RMS has functionality to display location history and it would be good if this could be relied upon as being accurate. All that I am saying is that RMS should show the same level of accuracy as the monitored device not an approximation.

Keith
by anonymous
Hi,

I will send this as a suggestion to our RMS development apartment.

EB.
by anonymous
Thanks for that.

In the mean time can I use a service such as GPS-server.net to record the location of the device? Do I do this by forwarding NMEA?

Keith