FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
319 views 7 comments
by anonymous

I have system date and time issue with my RUTX11. 

The unit drops the system time and resets it to the date (and possibly also time) of the last backup (System > Backup > Backup configuration). 

The apparent consequence of this is that the event log is filled with entries for dates when a backup was made. That is, the event log provides no usable information.

Short about the configuration:

• Firmware version RUTX_R_00.07.00 
  • One SIM card (MOB1S1A1)
  • The MOB1S1A1 interface is in bridge mode

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Unfortunately, Teltetonika devices does not have internal battery, which could power device when its power is disconnected. Because of this reason, when router looses power, it looses all its current information, including its system time.

When device is powered again, it starts using most recent time device knowns. In most cases that is "firmware build date", but if you have uploaded backup archive to the device - that would have more recent data and device would use it instead. This is intended device behavior.

Once router fully boots up and acquires internet connection, it should synchronize its time automatically with NTP servers. From that moment, NTP time should be correct and your device event logs should be with correct timestamp values. Un the other hand, if you have using device in solution, which does not have access to public NTP servers - device might indeed not be able to synchronize its time due to simply reason that servers is not reachable for the device. In this case, you can alter NTP servers which router should use and instruct router to synchronize its time with any other device in your network, which is running as NTP Server. That can be done from "Services -> NTP" menu.

Best answer
by anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, but the issue needs further investigation.

• The unit drops the date and time information without losing power. It is connected to a UPS, so I'm sure of this fact. 
  • Today, I made a "sync with browser" (Services > NTP > General) and then rebooted the unit. After rebooting, the "current system time" seems to be off by the time it took to reboot, but the date is (at least) not reset to the date of the last backup.

I also found a related question from 17 March 2020 RUTX11 IN BRIDGE MODE - NTP? in which the answer is that "Bridge mode disables most of router features ... The NTP server also becomes unavailable, so time is not updated." 

Should this be the case ... 

• Is there another way to synchronize date and time? 
  • If not, then I propose that the event log also includes another identifier than date and time. I believe the RUT240 has an ID column in addition to the date and time column. It would not surprise me if such an identifier already exists in the log but isn't shown in the user interface. If it exists, please display it and allow users to sort by this field. As mentioned, I cannot use the date and time in the event log to recreate the order of events.

by anonymous
You can use NTP GPS synchronisation, that works for me.

Go to Services->NTP->General and activate the option.
by anonymous

@flebourse: 

Do you have your mobile interface set to bridge mode as well? I guess you don't. The reason for thinking so is that ...

• I have GPS enabled (Services > GPS > General)
  • When visiting the map (Services > GPS > Map), "No GPS signal" is displayed. 
  • I did activate GPS synchronization for NTP, set it to 5 minutes, rebooted the router and waited 15 minutes ... with no clock update.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and provide firmware version). 

by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for drawing our attention that Event ID is missing from Event log menu. I have raised a suggestion to our RnD team, so that this aspect could be addressed in future firmware releases.

Meanwhile, regarding firmware which you are currently using, you can try to use "Passthrough" mobile mode instead of "Bridge" mode. In passthrough mode, instead of fully granting WAN IP address to LAN device, everything is being simulated by CPU. That results in both router and your LAN device being able to acquire same Public WAN IP address (router would use only certain necessary ports, e.g. for remote access, while all other ports will be forwarded to LAN device). That would allow router to also make connections to the internet and that should allow you to use NTP functionality to synchronize time other internet. Another option would be to use your local device and synchronize router's time base on LAN device's clock, or use GPS synchronization, as flebourse already suggested. This is advantage of "Passthrough" mode, that router remains in control and more of its functionalities could be used, compared with "Bridge" mode.

However, before fully committing to "Passthrough" mode, first check if your intended main solution is working with this mode, since even though it is very similar to "Bridge" mode, some edge cases might require to use "Bridge" mode instead.

by anonymous

@Björn:

GPS synchronisation shouldn't depend on bridge mode or any other one btw the ntp_gps process has only an eventpoll and a unix STREAM socket as inputs.

• When visiting the map (Services > GPS > Map), "No GPS signal" is displayed. 

Maybe this explains that ? Do you have the GPS antenna installed ?

I use the GPS synchronisation since version 07.00, works fine in version 07.01 also (02.06.1 and before had a glitch see https://community.teltonika-networks.com/32750/rutx-02-06-1-daylight-savings-time-and-ntp_gps if you are interested.)

by anonymous

@Automatic response

Thanks for the clarifications and for quick support. 

I believe I need to stick to bridge mode. Getting an Event ID column in the event log would, however, be greatly appreciated as it would solve the log reading issue.

About the difference between bridge mode and passthrough mode ...

• I guess this is information not only I have been looking for. 
  • I suggest that a page about the differences is be added under the heading "Technical Questions" in the Networking FAQ wiki section. 
  • Another option is to add information on the product's wiki pages (these only state "Using [Bridge/Passthrough] mode will disable most of the device's capabilities."). I guess, from a information management point of view, adding information to the FAQ and cross-referencing this on product wiki pages would be the easier solution.
by anonymous

@flebourse

I stand corrected! I shamefully admit that the GPS antenna wasn't connected. 

I might be mistaken (again), but do remember not getting GPS to work early last year, and therefore disconnected the antenna. Perhaps it was fixed in a later firmware. In any case, I had better not dig a deeper hole. wink

yes to you and Automatic response