FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
582 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Hi

I use wireguard VPN on my router RUT 240 (client). It works fine, but not when I reboot the RUT240 (as example I have a power outage). I get the message on my connected device, that there is no internet connection anymore. I need to restart wireguard on my server by using systemctl restart wireguard, then it works again.

Does somebody know how I can solve this issue?

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Are you using the keepalive setting? If your RUT240 is behind a NAT device (possibly CGNAT) I'd recommend setting it up to make sure at least the client end re-checks if the other peer is online every once in a while (recommended value is every 25 seconds). 

The setting on our devices can be found when configuring peer settings in the "Advanced setup" section. I would suggest setting this at the very least on the client side but both sides may have this setting as well. Please note that there is some (very minimal) extra traffic generated with this setting enabled.

Please find more information here regarding this option on our Teltonika devices: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/WireGuard_Configuration_Example#Advanced_Setup

Regarding the other end (peer) - from the syntax that you've included it seems that you're using a Debian-based OS as the other peer. In that case, in the WireGuard configuration file you may want to add the following line below the [Peer] IP address configuration setting:

PersistentKeepalive = 25

However, this should not be necessary as long as the client itself (which is behind NAT) performs this check.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Tomas.

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi Tomas

Thanks for your answer. I checked it carefully. I have already a Keep alive of "25" (See attached SS). But the problem still exist. Do you have any idea why it doesn't works?

Best wishes
Mario

by anonymous
Hi Tomas

Do you have any idea, what the problem couldbe?

Best wishes

Mario