FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
353 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Hi

I have two RUT240 routers that disconnect from the mobile provider after 3hrs 45 mins. The ping wget function is set so as the router will reboot after a disconnect, but I was wondering is this the mobile network turning off the data after 3hrs 45 mins resulting in the routers rebooting or is it something else that is causing it?

Any ideas how I would find out the cause of the data disconnect?

Thanks

Muda

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello, 

The first thing to do is double-check what firmware are you using to make sure it is not outdated. The second thing will be to double-check the Mobile configuration if you configured the correct APN (try to manually input it manually instead of auto). Lastly, double-check the mobile signal parameters you are receiving from the ISP, you can refer to this link for more information: Mobile Signal Strength Recommendations - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

If the issue still persists let me know. 

I hope this helps

Regards,
Jerome

by anonymous

Hi Jerome

Thank you for the reply. The firmware is the latest version in both routers and I have already configured the APN manually. 

As you have suggested, I have looked at the mobile signal parameters and can see that perhaps the signal quality might be the issue which is strange as both routers are outdoors and have a line of sight to a cell tower. Attached are the mobile signal parameters of both routers.

Is there anyway to improve the quality of the signal other than upgrading the antennas? I still find it a bit strange that the data connection drops every 3 hrs 45min, I would have thought this would be a bit more random if it was just a bad signal.

Best regard

Muda

by anonymous

Hello, 

It would be best to share with me a copy of the troubleshoot file as well. Also if the RSRP value is really high, disconnection issues will occur randomly depending on the signal strength available. 

For your question about how to improve the signal parameters. It is best to use an external roof antenna that is matching on the frequency band your ISP is using.

There are multiple 3rd party antenna providers that you can check these links: 

Outdoor antennas and enclosures for Teltonika routers - QuWireless
Homepage - Poynting Tech - Antenna Solutions, South Africa, USA & Europe

Keep in mind it's not limited to this as well. 

Regards,
Jerome

by anonymous

Hi Jerome,

Just to let you know this issue is still ongoing. One router is still disconnecting after 3hrs 45mins, the other has got progressively worse.

I have attached an image of the disconnects which seem to occur even when the router has excellent signal strength. 

Is there anything further I can do to try to resolve this? 

by anonymous

Hello, 

From the image you sent, it is having -65dBm RSSI signal strength which is considered to be good but it is not only about RSSI. 

Because RSSI for LTE is calculated from several other signal-related measurements: RSSI = wideband power = noise + serving cell power + interference power. For example, a 4G LTE modem might report an RSSI of -68 dBm, but:

RSRP = -102 dBm

RSRQ = -16 dB

SINR = -1.8 dB

In this case, the signal quality is actually very poor. This could be due to the device being some distance away from the LTE transmitter. It’s also possible that something is interfering with the signal, such as a building or other obstructions between the device and the tower.

You can refer to this link for more information: Mobile Signal Strength Recommendations - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

Regards,
Jerome

by anonymous
Just another update to this issue. Both routers are still disconnecting their data connection after 3 hours 45 minutes.

I found out that this seems to coincide with the mobile sim's IP address being reset/changed by the network provider.

I do not believe the disconnects are due to the signal quality or strength as both routers are in the same location and both have their data disconnected after 3 hours 45 mins. To be sure I started one router up 1 hr and 30 mins after the other so that if it was signal quality causing the issue then they both should disconnect at the same time, but this was not the case and they both continue to disconnect after the same length of time.

Does anyone know how I can solve the data disconnects? This problem is going on far too long now.

All the best

Muda