FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
252 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Why is there a limitation on the length of the SNMPv3 authentication (8-12) and privacy secret of (exactly 8) characters? Our company policy requires at least 14 characters for such passwords. I want to understand where the limitation comes from. Any other SNMPv3 capable network device we use does not have this limitation.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

The usual standard for SNMPv3 password length due to MD5 and SHA encryption methods is 8 to 12 characters. Also for the secret, the usual standard is 8 characters.
by anonymous
Based on what? What standard are you referring to? I'm using about 25 different brands of IT products. None of them have this limitation. Is there an RFC I can check? Or is this an implementation choice of Teltonika?
by anonymous
Hello,

Yes, it is an implementation choice of Teltonika.
by anonymous
Is there a way to file a request for change on that? Seems like a minor change to raise the limit to 20 characters right?
by anonymous

Hello,

If this is important for meeting the requirements of your company and your company would be willing to pay for the special development of a firmware that can do this. First, if you are a VIP Helpdesk user you have to create a ticket explaining the issue if you are not a VIP Helpdesk user you have to contact your Teltonika Sales Manager and he will be able to help with the creation of the ticket. There is more to the process but this is the first step.

If you only want to make the suggestion, this question is enough to take notice of this, and if it is a feature that more clients require, the development team could make the change.

Have a good day.

by anonymous
Thanks for the clear answer! My company is running a proof on concept based on the Teltonika routers. If it succeeds, they will roll out a large number of devices. In this case I think the sales route would fit best. There is no VIP Helpdesk subscription yet because it’s a PoC.