FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,245 views 2 comments
by
Hello,

We have a network of RUT240 with OpenVPN clients configured. The server is running on a Linux machine with iptables. As we roam globally, sometimes on very expensive network, I'd like to minimize the ping traffic generated by keeping the tunnel open. I know how to configure the keepalive setting, but what else is needed in order to prevent the tunnel from being shut down when the pinging becomes less frequent?

Best Regards,
Johan

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

To check if tunnel is reachable is a best way to be sure that connection working correctly, so only ping request can confirm this.

Perhaps would be a solution to write a script which automatically restart openvpn periodically. But this will takes disconnection of OpenVPN and will be a time laps when openvpn do not work.
by
I don't need to remove the ping traffic. It would be enough to set the ping interval to 10x the default value. But when I tried that the tunnels were closed by the firewall and needed to be restarted after the keepalive timeout.

Best Regards,
Johan
by anonymous

tunnels were closed by the firewall

What you mean? Connection was closed by server?