FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
366 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hi there,

I've run into a fairly serious problem with some RUTXR1 routers on firmware version RUTX_R_00.07.01.4.

After making some configuration changes, then doing a backup and rebooting, they seem to sometimes be losing some network configuration.

After configuring 4 routers for a client, I shut them down by pulling the power, then realised I hadn't saved a backup. I booted them up again, successfully logged into them all, saved a config backup through the web interface, and shut them down about 5-10 seconds after making the config backup (again, by pulling the power out).

3 of those 4 routers were inaccessible after booting up again. I could not log into them on their configured IP addresses, and they had to be factory reset, and then have the saved config I took reapplied, after which they worked fine.

After spending probably 2 days trying to replicate and diagnose the fault, I've been able to reproduce it quite a few times, but have not been able to come up with a process to 100% reproduce it. A few things seem to be always consistent though:

• It always involves a config backup preceding the reboot
  • A soft reboot through the web interface has never triggered the fault for me - only pulling the power
  • The backup file taken immediately before rebooting is correct, and does not match the network configuration running when the fault occurs

When the fault occurs, I can usually log into the router on its default IP address (though the lan interface should normally be disabled), and I can see that the /etc/config/network file is very similar to factory defaults, and missing a large chunk of the configuration which should be there

Problem is present in several different routers of the same model/firmware, and persists through flashing new firmware.

Nothing that looks interesting to me shows up in any of the logs when this occurs, so the only real working theory I have is that some part of the flash memory is being mishandled during a configuration backup and getting corrupted when the power is pulled.

I can provide a saved configuration and some detailed instructions if someone from Teltonika is able to try to replicate this please.
Until we can determine exactly what is going wrong, our workaround is to save config and do a soft reboot after every configuration change, which is fairly intrusive for minor things.

Thanks,

Sam

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for reaching to Teltonika.

The issue you have encountered is reported to Teltonika RnD department and is currently being investigated. It should be fixed with the 7.2 firmware release.

Best regards,

Žygimantas
by anonymous

That's great news, thanks for the update Žygimantas.

If possible, any information that you can share about what triggers the fault in the meantime would be appreciated.

We have a number of devices deployed at remote sites with this firmware, and our current workaround is to perform a backup and soft reboot after any configuration, no matter how minor, as there's some uncertainty still about exactly what triggers the fault. If the fault is still able to occur following this procedure for example, we'd like to now as soon as possible.

Let me know if I can provide any further info which may help.

Thanks,

Sam

by anonymous
Hello,

I sent you a personal message with a link to the test firmware, where the bug does not reproduce.

Best regards,

Žygimantas