FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
515 views 4 comments
by anonymous

Hi, i am new to a rutx11 and we have purched this for our camper/rv to connected to internet. At this moment i have no sim card inserted and i am depended on WiFi of campings. I have setup the rutx11 as a 2.4 ghz access point and disabled the 5ghz one to safe energy. So far so good.

When I am arriving at a camping I scan the area a join the strongest wifi of the camping. 

After this I dragged this connection to the top in my interfaces menu (unfortunately not working on the iPad and had to connect my laptop)

For some reason the camping didn't allow this way of connection and blocked my Mac address ( can you change the Mac address?). I was not aware of this as it was not clearly stated in the camping guidelines. Also not sure why. 

As a result of this I had trouble to connect to my rutx11 wifi to change things. It disconnected evertime. Sometimes the wifi was not even visible. And if it was connected I couldn't login to the we admin web console. 

My question( sorry I have so many):

• do I something wrong here to connect to a camping Wi-Fi?
  • Is it true that when (in this case) the camping wifi is blocked I cannot connect anymore (or difficult) to my rutx11 or do I make a mistake?
  • Can I spoof the mac address of the client connecting to the camping wifi (interfaces menu?)
  • Can I simulate a phone that connects to the camping wifi? I mean how can they see it ( my most name is iphonemobile)

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to understand the concept and this was not clear int the wiki manual. Hope Someone can help me.

Ps I am an it person and have at home a pfsense firewall. So I know the basics but helping me to understand the questions above would really helpful. 

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
I can’t be sure if this answers all your questions, but if your goal is to use the campground’s WiFi then I think you’re making it much more difficult than it needs to be. Just connect to the campground’s WiFi directly with your various devices such as phone, tablet, laptop, TV etc. The RUTX11 is an LTE CAT6 router and its purpose is to *provide* WiFi (and/or LAN) access to the Internet via a cellular provider. It’s not really going to be of much use to you without a SIM card and a mobile data plan to go with the SIM card.

If the issue you’re having is a weak WiFi signal at the campground then you can use a standard WiFi extender to resolve that problem.
by anonymous
Mmh, i am not sure i am happy with this anwser. The shop that sold me this has actually this as a strong selling point to use wifi from the campground and if needed via cellular provider as fail over. Teltonika has even an app to connect easy to a public wifi point.

the benefit is also i need to connect once to the campingground wifi and all my devices are connected and using nordvpn.

but still the procedure above/questions could they be answered?
by anonymous

Hello,

Please refer to this video for setting your router to use WiFi as WAN source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGKWNqnZZ0  

There might be a possibility that the router you connect your RUTX11 to has the same IP thus a conflict occurs.

Regarding your questions:

• do I something wrong here to connect to a camping Wi-Fi?

As mentioned, there might be an IP conflict.

• Is it true that when (in this case) the camping wifi is blocked I cannot connect anymore (or difficult) to my rutx11 or do I make a mistake?

Unless camping IP has some MAC blacklisting/whitelisting, you should not be blocked.

• Can I spoof the mac address of the client connecting to the camping wifi (interfaces menu?)

You can edit the MAC address in the WebUI going to Network -> Interfaces. Select the interface, press pencil icon. In a newly opened editing window go to Advanced settings section and modify Override MAC address field. Press Save and apply.

• Can I simulate a phone that connects to the camping wifi? I mean how can they see it ( my most name is iphonemobile)

Hostname of the router can be edited in the System -> Administration -> General section.

Best regards,

Žygimantas   

by anonymous
Hi,

Thanks for your anwsers.

i have used the video in the beginning so iam all good

There is no ip conflict for sure.

my question regarding blocking is more, if the camping ground internet blocks me or isdown should i still be able to connect to the rutx wifi and able to login on this?
by anonymous

You should still be able to connect to router's wifi and login to the device even if you do not have internet access, however, your connectivity will be limited between the devices within your LAN. 

You could try to SSH into the router, enter command logread -f, try to connect/login with other devices and see, what messages are displayed upon successful/unsuccessful login attempts.