FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
283 views 3 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

My goal is to process the real time data from the OBD2 recorder of a car, with my RUT955 and then send this data to Thingsboard using MQTT.

I want to know if I can access the data from the OBD2 logger (ELM327) using the USB port of my RUT955 and process this data with python for example.

Alternatively, can I do the same thing but with the RS232 port instead?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

The connected USB device would be visible in /dev/ folder. However, there is no guarantee that out of the box, the router will support the USB controller as there might be a need for a driver.

Later on, you can definitely install python on the device and make a program that will communicate with the OBD recorder.

Alternatively, you can use a service such as VirtualHere which would allow you to access the USB device remotely and use it on the server as if it was connected to the server directly.
by anonymous
Alternatively, can I do the same thing but with the RS232 port instead?
by anonymous
For RS232 you can use in over IP mode with would allow you to reach the device using an IP address and a port. As for having it available on the server as a COM port, you would have to search for a program, that would allow you to do just that. And for this, I have nothing I could suggest.
by anonymous
Couldn't I just write instructions from the command line of the RUT955 to communicate with my device?