FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
584 views 11 comments
by anonymous

Hi

I have a RUT360 (firmware RUT36X_R_00.07.02.2, modem firmware EG06ELAR04A04M4G) that works always in single band mode, except if I reboot the modem, then it stays on B3/B7 for few hours or even minutes and return to single mode. 

This do not appear to depend on the cell because the modem never reconnects to B3/B7 unless I reboot.

I have a quite old version of the firmware modem and I'm on RMS. 

Any advise ?

Thanks for your support

by anonymous

I am on firmware version RUT36X_R_00.07.01.2 but I have the same problem.

I also have bands B3 and B7 available.  (EE in the UK).

B7 is not as strong a signal but has high download speed and slow upload speed.  B3 is a stronger signal, with medium download/medium upload speeds.

My phone (same network, obviously!) does CA with the two channels, and gets excellent up/down.

My RUT360 in auto mode sticks to B3 with no CA, unless I force it to use only B7 - then I get a solid connection but slow upload speed.

It's as though Carrier Aggregation is broken, and I am sad to hear that it doesn't work for you on RUT36X_R_00.07.02.2 either - it sounds like we have a very similar situation.

by anonymous
Frankly I hope that upgrading the modem firmware could improve something....the problem here is that you need a different WAN connection for the upgrade and if you are far from everything and have only the modem to connect and nothing else you're stuck.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The band aggregation might be influenced on the signal quality of the bands. If either one of them has poor characteristics, the modem will simply not connect.

You can also try to set the bands manually, by following instructions here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Band_Lock.

Finally, you can try to update modem firmware. Before attempting the update, you need to connect your router a different WAN source than mobile, as the modem will disconnect and big files need to be downloaded during update, thus you need to be connected either through wired or wireless WAN. Below are the the instructions:

• Access your device via SSH and execute the following commands:
    • opkg update
    • opkg install modem_updater
    • opkg install sshfs
    • modem_updater -g
  • The last command will list available firmware versions. Next modify the following command:
    • modem_updater -i <ID> -v <VERSION>
      • <ID> - should be 1-1, however, in case of an error you should be shown a correct ID.
      • <VERSION> - enter the latest firmware version from the list of the previously executed command, it should be EG06ELAR04A08M4G.

Best regards,

Žygimantas

by anonymous

Thank you Žygimantas

is there any way to update modem firmware via RMS ? Connecting to wired/wireless WAN is quite painful, the only way to get another connection there is having another LTE modem (that I don't have)..

Or may be downloading the firmware and installing it from local path ? 

Walter 

by anonymous
I have been able to get the firmware from Quectel...is there any way to install it from "local" (ie not using another wan connection ?).

In the place where the modem is, WAN is not reachable without antenna on a very long pole, hence the need to download the firmware at home, copying it to RUT360 and installing from local.

Thanks for your support
by anonymous

Hi,

I followed the steps as described by Žygimantas to update the modem to the latest firmware.

On the last step "modem_updater -i 1-1 -v EG06ELAR04A08M4G -D" (so in debug mode) I get the following error:

[INFO] 1-1 is responding to AT commands.
[INFO] DEVICE is compatible.
[000.000]: Version: QFirehose_Linux_Android_V1.4.8
[000.001]: Builded: Aug 31 2021 22:20:08
[000.002]: P: /dev/bus/usb/001/014 idVendor=2c7c idProduct=0306
[000.002]: C: /dev/bus/usb/001/014 bNumInterfaces: 5
[000.003]: I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff Sub=ff Prot=ff
[000.003]: E: Ad=81 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.003]: E: Ad=01 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.003]: I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff Sub=00 Prot=00
[000.003]: E: Ad=83 Atr=03 MxPS= 2560 Ivl=9ms
[000.003]: E: Ad=82 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.004]: E: Ad=02 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.004]: I: If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff Sub=00 Prot=00
[000.004]: E: Ad=85 Atr=03 MxPS= 2560 Ivl=9ms
[000.004]: E: Ad=84 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.004]: E: Ad=03 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.004]: I: If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff Sub=00 Prot=00
[000.005]: E: Ad=87 Atr=03 MxPS= 2560 Ivl=9ms
[000.005]: E: Ad=86 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.005]: E: Ad=04 Atr=02 MxPS= 2 Ivl=0ms
[000.005]: I: If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff Sub=ff Prot=ff
[000.006]: tmp=/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/../driver, driver=../../../../bus/platform/driv
ers/ehci-platform
[000.006]: qusb_noblock_open port_name = /dev/ttyUSB0
[000.008]: old software version: EG06ELAR04A04M4G
[001.009]: poll_wait events=POLLIN msec=1000 timeout
[001.009]: switch to 'Emergency download mode'
[001.011]: successful, wait module reboot
[INFO] internet connection is working
[INFO] Checking old mount
[INFO] Old mount: Empty
[INFO] read: Connection reset by peer
[INFO] Checking firmware path
[ERROR] firmware directory is empty. Mount failed? Exiting...
[INFO] Starting services:
[INFO] Starting modem(s)
Any idea why the firmware directory is empty?
Thanks for looking into this.
Best regards,
Laurens
When looking at the modem_updater command
by anonymous

No idea unfortunately...except for a temporary unavailability of remote drive (here Žygimantas could help) or a rogue character in the command due to copy&paste.

by anonymous
Hello,

Modem update has a where you could upgrade using a USB drive, where you would just specify a path for the firmware.

For as to why the dirrectory is empty, please make sure that the FW number is correct.
by anonymous
Hi both,

Thanks for your support. I double checked the command but no typos in there. I used the last version in the list.

I keep getting the message that the firmware directory is empty.

When I use the last minus 1 version (so the one before the last in the list) the update works fine.

Looks like the last FW version in the list is not showing the correct one...
by anonymous
@LaBeh

double checked and command is ok, except that I didn't use -D option.
by anonymous
Ok, I succeeded to upgrade to the latest version.

For some reason I first had to do the upgrade to the previous version.  

For both upgrades I experienced that a cabled WAN connection is required.  So cabling Wan and LAN made it possible to execute the upgrades.  As a result, the error showing that no files were found is misleading.  Costed me lot of time to sort this out but I am happy the modem upgrade succeeded.y

Where I live, the modem is till showing the Single mode for carrier aggregation (bad signal reception here) but I will check next week when I am getting out with my RV is all works as expected.

Thanks for you support!

Laurens
0 votes
by anonymous

Ok...finally managed to upgrade the modem firmware from EG06ELAR04A04M4G to EG06ELAR04A08M4G (a consistent upgrade as far as I can see)...things look better now...first effect is the modem is now locking CA B20/B3, something that has never happened before, I'll keep you posted if something else comes up.

Thanks for those who helped on that...but....I had to buy a used RUT240  in order to provide the alternative WAN needed. When your modem is hundreds of km away and an antenna on the roof is the only chance to get connected, I think that managing the upgrade locally on the device would be a great help.

by anonymous
We used to be able to flash firmware from RAM, however, quectel greatly increase the FW size and it no longer fits on the RAM