FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
508 views 7 comments
by anonymous
I have connected a NAS to my RUT955, and I want to share the contents that are on that NAS with the users of the RUT's WIFI/HOTSPOT network.

The application will be only on the local wireless network, i.e. without internet.

When I connect to the SSID of the WIFI network, I can access the NAS (localhost), but I can't do it through the HOTSPOT.

I have created a VLAN, between the HOTSPOT and the LAN ports, where the NAS is, but it does not work.

To restrict access, users must first authenticate on the hotspot.

Any suggestions?

Regards

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Hotspot by design tries its best to isolate the clients from each other and only provide internet access. This is not a solution for this kind of setup.

I would recommend just setting up firewall rules to allow/deny access to certain features.
by anonymous
Thanks

Another option could be to connect the NAS as a DHCP web server to the WAN port of the router, and from there give access to the hotspot users. Is this possible?

Additionally, could I provide internet service through the mobile interface?

Regards
by anonymous
Yeah, that could be an option that should work as that would be a WAN connection.

Internet is for the hotspot users is available by default
by anonymous

Hello

I have continued testing, and this time I connected the WAN port of the RUT955 to a basic router (without internet), configured as a DHCP server, and in another LAN port of the same router, the NAS. 

The users of the SSID of the WIFI network do connect to the NAS, but those of the RUT955 hotspot do not.

Is there any parameter that can be configured in the hotspot to recognize the DHCP server?

Regards
by anonymous
Not possible, hotspot disabled any LAN network communications and only allows you to reach anything that's in WAN
by anonymous
Thanks

I understand,

Then I should connect the DHCP server directly to the WAN port of the RUT955 and then the hotspot users could access the platform installed on the server, without internet of course.
0 votes
by anonymous
You can run "official" openwrt on the RUT955. Which gives you much more options to fulfill your requirements, which are not very special.

Will need some research or development work, though.
by anonymous

Thanks

Sorry, but what is a "official" openwrt?

In my country the internet in rural areas is very unstable, and of low quality. In such cases, it would be useful for me to restrict access to the WIFI network users, and have them authenticate themselves through the hotspot, without having internet on the router.

I have another question. 

On my NAS will run a multimedia platform, with movies, each with bitrates of 1 or 2 mbps. If I use the RUT240, how many users can connect simultaneously without encryption?

Regards

by anonymous
"Official" openwrt from openwrtDOTorg . Teltonika has its own variant of it, usually older packages and kernels, but also some private closed-Source stuff.

I did a media server, similar to yours, on an openwrt device, similar to a RUT955. About 20 simultaneous users worked on 2.4GHz. Using 5Ghz and higher speed _MIGHT_ give you even better results. This device was for cross country bus connections, without internet connection.