FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
253 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I have a X11 with latest firmware (7.02.4). My connection is generally quite good and stable. About 20 mbps up and 20 mbps down with fairly low ping times.

However, sometimes when one of my computers downloads a large file, my internet connection on the router becomes almost unusable. For example; I have a ping open to a specific server on the ssh interface of my x11. The ping times are steady at 80ms. Then, when I start the download on one of my computers the ping times increase to about 3000ms. It looks like the large download "chokes" my internet connection.

Do you know what could be the reason?

thank you, Jeroen

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the contacting Teltonika support forum. Please find our response below: 

When your router's end device is downloading large data files from the internet, the end device will consume most of the bandwidth of the router for sure. Thus, will make internet connections for other services to have very little bandwidth to operate. To test it out, I tried to replicate the same scenario and found the same results as you. 
Therefore, in order to avoid this, you can you QoS and SQM (traffic shaping) package on the router. Traffic Shaping is a bandwidth management technique used on computer networks which delays some or all datagrams to bring them into compliance with the desired traffic profile. Traffic Shaping is used to optimize or guarantee performance, improve latency, or increase usable bandwidth for some kinds of packets by delaying other kinds.
Traffic shaping (QoS) can be downloaded from the package manager (Service->Pacakage manager) on the router.
This will allow you to create profiles according to your needs and you can set up download and upload speeds for specific interfaces and also prioritize the traffic for bandwidth.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX11_Traffic_Shaping

Apart from that, you can use the Load balancing feature, which helps the router to distribute the traffic load between different WAN interfaces (such as Mobile, wifi and wired WAN). However, for this, you need at least two different WAN sources to load-balance the traffic. Please follow the link below for more information:
https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX11_Failover#Load_Balancing

I hope this helps you. please comment for further questions.

Regards,
Ramandeep

by anonymous
Hi Ramandeep,

Thank you very much for your help.

I have experienced both with SQM and QoS. I see an increase in performance while I am downloading a large file. Excellent! I only have 1 wan connection, so I cannot use Load balancing.

May I ask 2 more questions?

1) I wish to use QoS only on the wan interface but this does not work. If I set a very low download/upload speed for wan, this has no effect. When I set a low download/upload speed for the lan interface, it DOES work. Do I need to change something to use QoS only on the wan?

2) Most of the time my router is connected to one cell tower and I know the maximum download and upload speed. I can set these values on the QoS page. But sometimes the router connects to another tower and I have a lower speed. Which means the values on the QoS page will be too high. I would like to have a dynamic maximum download/upload speed. Is this possible with QoS?

Best regards, Jeroen
by anonymous
Hi Jeron,

1. Please use the SQM package for this case. It allows you to select the interface such as mobile, br-lan, wlan0 etc and you can specify the speed you want for both download and upload streams.
2. Unfortunately, there is no way you can dynamically control the bandwidth with mentioned packages under conditions such as moving to the different cell towers.