FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
–1 vote
176 views 2 comments
by anonymous

I have purchased a RUTX08 router and a TSW100 switch from Teltonika.

My plan was to power the RUTX08 via PoE using one of the PoE-out ports of the TSW100. Here's what I did:

I have plugged the TSW100 into the wall using the cable that came with it. It powered on (green PWR light).

I plugged a Cat6a patch cable into the LAN1 port of the RUTX08.

I plugged the other end of that patch cable into the LAN1 port (PoE-out) of the TSW100.

I think I heard a tiny sizzle sound but I might have just imagined this.

The RUTX08 remained unpowered (no green PWR light).

After this, I tested the devices' power. The LAN1 of the TSW100 was able to power a Ubiquity access point with PoE, so no issues there. Then I plugged the RUTX08 into the wall using the power cable that came with it. It powered on (green PWR light). So no issues there either.

So as per the title of this post: Can the RUTX08 be powered via PoE supplied by the TSW100?

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.
I would like to inform you that RUTX08 only supports passive PoE, meanwhile TSW100 supports 802.3af and 802.3at standards. This means, that you won't be able to power the router with TSW100, you would need to use additional 802.3af/802.3at to passive PoE converter in order to make it work.
For more information please visit a link below:
https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX08_Powering_Options#Passive_PoE

Best regards,

Sigitas K.

by anonymous
Thank you for the quick response!

A bit disappointing as both of these devices are relatively recent products, and both are produced by Teltonika. Nevertheless, I should have done my homework on their compatibility, so my bad.

Just a quick follow-up question if I may: is there any way that I could have damaged the RUTX08's board or its LAN1 port in some way simply by plugging it into one of the TSW100's PoE ports?
by anonymous
Hello,

By default, when active PoE-compatible devices are connected they first check if they can use the transmitted power.
This is established via a "handshake": an initial communication signal between the receiving and transmitting devices that test for compatibility and protocol, and establishes what voltage level and transmission mode should be used.
If a device does not answer to a "handshake", an active PoE device will transmit only data, not power.
So, TSW100 could not damage RUTX08 by plugging the LAN cable into the LAN1 port.

Best regards,

Sigitas K.