FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
715 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi there

I will be looking to get a RUTX50 once it is available with distributors, to upgrade my home internet connection to 5G (currently use a RUT360). I was hoping to use a uni-directional antenna such as the Poynting XPOL-2-5G for maximum gain.

I see the RUTX50 has 4 SMA connectors for cellular, could you clarify how this would work in a 5G NSA configuration please?

I believe uni-directional 4x4 MIMO antennas exist, however presumably this would not work in a 5G NSA configuration, since the 4G anchor and the 5G cell are in different locations.

Does that mean my only option is an omni-directional 4x4 MIMO 5G antenna, or is it possible to use two 2x2 MIMO antennas for example; a 5G directional and a 4G omni?

Thanks in advance

1 Answer

+1 vote
by anonymous
Hello,

RUTX50 employs all four antennas as main, meaning that there is no separation of connectors between 4G or 5G.

Whether to operate on 2x2 or 4x4 MIMO is determined by the modem, based on the received signal characteristics from all four channels, thus selectively connecting a 5G directional and a 4G omni may not result in your desired output. The again, you can still try to connect the Poynting antenna and attach omnidirectional ones to the remaining connectors.

Besides, the device would still operate in either 4G or 5G at a single instance. I would suggest to test setups for 4G and 5G and see, which yields better performance.

Also, RUTX50 uses a LTE Cat20 modem and, in order to fully utilize its capabilities, all four antennas are preferred with identical features.

Best regards,
Best answer
by anonymous
Many thanks for your response, appreciate it.

In a 5G NSA environment then, I guess really I should be using an omni-directional antenna? Since a uni-directional one would generally not be able to point at both of the 2 masts (4G+5G) required in such an environment.
by anonymous
You could also try pointing the antenna to 5G tower as it is designed to operate in 5G frequencies too.