FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
221 views 0 comments
by anonymous

Hey

I don't understand what the following sentences mean.

Passive PoE The device may also be powered by an Ethernet cable via the LAN1 port

The device is NOT COMPLIANT with the IEEE 802.3af-2003 standard: powering the device from an IEEE 802.3af-2003 power supply will damage the device as it is not rated for input voltages of the PoE standard.

Can I or can't I supply poe power to the device with the Cisco C2960X switch? Power can be defined for the switch port as follows: Limits the power allowed on the port. The range is 4000 to 30000 mW.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out! As far as I can find in Cisco manuals:

Cisco Catalyst 2960-X series switches support both IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) and IEEE 802.3at PoE+.

That means that Your switch can only output active PoE, while TSW110 requires passive PoE to operate, meaning they are incompatible.

If powering the device via an Ethernet cable is required, there are active to passive PoE converters available for purchase online.

Why will it not work?

Active PoE works by negotiating the voltage and current needed for the end device and only then supplying it. TSW110 does not support this negotiation process and requires passive PoE, which requires the power to be delivered as soon as the cable is plugged into the LAN1 port on the device.

Quoted Cisco manual can be found here.

So just to sum up, active PoE should not be used to power TSW110, as the standards are incompatible.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Best regards,

DaumantasG