FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
240 views 7 comments
by anonymous
Hi there -

How can I setup logging of SIM1<>SIM2 switching - both automatic switching and manual? Does this show in the logs, and are you able to setup an SMS Event? I've looked in both sections, but unfortunately is is not obvious.

BTW - so impressed by this router and the OS/UI. Incredible. Thanks to the Teltonika team for putting in so much capability, reporting and flexibility into one unit!

RUTX11 with latest firmware.

Thanks.
by anonymous
I may have answered my own question - is it Event Type "Mobile Data"?
by anonymous
Yes, the sim number is available with %su.
by anonymous
Thank you @flebourse - appreciate the help.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

When SIM switching happens, you can see the event in System -> Logs. You will see the time when the SIM switch happened, to which SIM card did it switch, and the reason why it switched.

You can configure SMS and e-mail notifications in Services -> Events Reporting. The service is quite flexible. However, currently, there is no way to trigger an event when the SIM switching happens. You can use a workaround like setting the event type to mobile data and sending a notification when the status changes to 'connected'. Include 'SIM slot in use' parameter in SMS message. This way, when SIM switch occurs and the device reconnects with a new SIM, you will receive an SMS message containing the information regarding which SIM card is currently used. You can find more information HERE.

Not all SMS notifications are in the events reporting. For example, if you go to your mobile interface settins in Network -> Interfaces -> your mobile interface, you can see a mobile data limit section in the bottom. If you enable that option, you will be able to set data limit and configure a SMS notification when a specified amount of data was used. Information HERE.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous

Hi there - 

Thanks for the details. I arrived at the same conclusions and setup through a little experimentation. It works... until it doesn't.

It seem to work fine in some early testing, but the SIM switching has been enacted numerous times over the last 24 hours and I've not received any new SMS from either SIM (EE & Vodafone). Both plans have unlimited calls and messages. 

Looking through my logs, none of the SMS' for SIM Switch (Mobile Data) and Signal Strength have been sent by the router. Why would this be? Looks like it could be a router bug to me...

FYI - I've attached the Event Reporting rule that is not triggering. I have one other rule (Signal Strength) which is equally not triggering.

Thanks

by anonymous
I have the same behavior, events reporting works for a few days after a reboot then nothing.
by anonymous

Could you attach the troubleshoot file from the router, where it would be visible in the logs that SMS is not sent on SIM switch/data state change events, and also have the router's configuration with the events reporting rules configured and enabled? It would be forwarded to the development team for further investigation.

To generate the file, access router's WebUI, navigate to System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot section and download it from there. Attach it by editing the question.

by anonymous

Hi ZygimantasBliu, 

Interestingly, I've had a flurry of SMS alerts just now - but all related to signal strength worsening (our service provider has a faulty mast that loses it completely when it rains). I would hazard a guess that there is a router sequencing/queueing issue with SMS alerting when there is a Mobile Data Connect/Disconnect event, as an SMS cannot be sent if there is no established cell connection. It's almost as if the process of holding on to the SMS send until the device can successfully send a message is tripping up... attempting to send when it cannot.

I will DM you my troubleshooting file, as it contains my mobile numbers. Hope that's ok.

P.S. I am also having issues receiving SMS' to SIM2 (Vodafone), which means I cannot use SMS Utilities for that SIM. Messaging are hugely delayed (many hours), and it does not respond to to SMS actions. Furthermore, for this SIM only, I seem to get many duplicates of messages reappearing in the READ tab, all with the same send date and time. I mention this, as there seems to be several issues with SMS functionality on the router, and some peculiarity with Vodafone UK messaging and connection establishment.

Thanks