FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
512 views 4 comments
by anonymous

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a VPN to look at a controllers embedded webpage remotely.

I have configured a VPN hub on a TRB 140 as per the Teltonika video https://youtu.be/dfAudZR2wPY.

Configured route using autoscan of device it finds the IoT device I am trying to connect to.

I have downloaded the configuration and I am able to connect to the VPN successfully via open VPN (confirmed VPN connection on TRB140 webUI)

Attempt to go to device IP via chrome browser and it does not work. I assume there is additional configuration possibly around port forwarding?  

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Is the LAN forwarding option in the VPN HUB configuration enabled? As it is seen at 1:27s into the video you linked. The LAN forwarding allows accessing devices on the TRB140 LAN network, which seems to be the issue since you are able to connect to TRB140 but not to your controller.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Hi Andzej,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have enabled LAN forwarding, the tips as you go through the VPN hub configuration do mention there may be additional settings I need to apply but do not elaborate.

Matt.
by anonymous

Hi,

Have you tried to download a new ovpn configuration file from the VPN hub -> clients page?

Do you have RMS data available on your RMS account? You can see it in services -> connect/VPN.

You can also try to remove the client and the VPN hub, and then re-add them again. Basically recreating the VPN hub. This helps sometimes.

Try to add a LAN network manually. Go to VPN hub -> routes -> add route -> manual. Enter the LAN network IP address , subnet mask, and the device. See image (192.168.11.0/24 in my example).

Also, check RMS firewall zone configuration. Connect to TRB140 webUI, go to Network -> Firewall and check if the RMS zone forwarding is set to accept.

It is also possible to configure a port forwarding rule. This would look similar to this:

Source zone: Your RMS VPN zone

External port: (port 8080 for example)

External IP: IP address of your TRB140

Internal zone: LAN

Internal IP address: LAN IP address of your controller.

Internal port: Port to connect to (change to port 80 for HTTP web)

In this case, if you open your browser (on the VPN client machine) and enter the IP address of your TRB140 followed by a colon and port number 8080 (192.168.11.11 in my example), you will access the LAN device on port 80. (192.168.11.242 on port 6886 in example)

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hi,

Thanks again for your response.

I downloaded the OpenVPN config and we do have data available.

I have been through these steps and still can't connect. I had assumed the external port was the same as the internal, is that incorrect?

Matt.
by anonymous
Hi,

Have you tried to delete and recreate the VPN hub, as well as other steps, such as adding the network manually? You can send me screenshots of your RMS configuration via private message.

The external port is the port to which you are connecting to TRB140 in your case. Internal port is the port to which the packets will be forwarded to your controller.

For example, the WebUI on TRB140 is listening on port 80 (port used by HTTP protocol for web). The webpage on the controller is listening on port 80 as well (unless there are changes in the controller configuration). When you enter the IP address of your TRB140 in the browser, the browser assumes it is port 80, so TRB  receives packets on port 80 and thus you connect to the webUI of TRB140. But since you want to connect to the webpage controller, which is also on port 80, you need to translate port numbers. According to the rule I posted, the traffic that comes to port 8080 on TRB140 needs to be sent to the controller (IP) to port 6886 (you need to change to port 80, so that you access the webpage).

TRB140 receives packets on port 80 -> TRB140 webui

TRB140 receives packets on port 8080 (External port) -> forward traffic to <controller IP> (internal IP address) on port 80 (Internal port) -> Controllers web page.

Kind Regards,

Andzej