FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
669 views 5 comments
by anonymous

Hi all,

RUTX09 firmware RUTX_R_00.07.03.2
RUTX10 firmware RUTX_R_00.07.03.2

I have an RUTX09 for LTE Internet access with DHCP enabled, factory settings apart from setup wizard.  This works perfectly using a wired connection to my PoE switch.

I want to add my new RUTX10 essentially just as an access point on the LAN side for wireless devices.  This is also factory settings apart from setup wizard with DHCP disabled.  The wireless clients authenticate but fail to be issued an IP address from the RUTX09.

What am I missing?  I assumed the WiFi being bound to the LAN network would mean traffic would flow in the same way as a "dumb" access point, but I guess not?

Any help much appreciated.

Richard.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

We have a configuration example for setup just like yours here.

Keep in mind, that RUTX10 should be in a different LAN network.

One more thing to keep in mind, RUTX10 can be powered by passive PoE as well, however, the LAN1 port will need to be configured as WAN in your use case. Then the WAN port can be configured as LAN if additional Ethernet ports are needed. This is not needed, correction in my next reply.

Let me know if any more help is needed!

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous

Hi Daumantas,

Not having much luck I'm afraid.  I've configured the LAN port as per the guide except I am configuring LAN1 as untagged in my new VLAN, so I can power using PoE.  I have setup the DHCP relay on the LAN interface as per the guide and added the static route and dnsmasq.conf entry to my RUTX09.

I can't ping in either direction, so something isn't right, but it's hard to debug from here, I can't see anything obvious in the logs.

Network now looks like this:

I have my laptop ethernet plugged into the switch and get an IP from the DHCP server and Internet access works just fine.  I have my laptop Wi-Fi connected to the RUTX10 with a manually configured IP so I can access the admin.  If I SSH into either router and try to ping the other one it doesn't work, even though the firewall rule for ping from wan is enabled on both.

Any suggestions please?  I must be something simple I have missed!

Regards,

Richard.

by anonymous

Hello,

Sorry, mislead you with that configuration example.

LAN-to-LAN communication is needed for this setup to work. So the examples on how to configure LAN port as WAN and the other way around can be disregarded.

What needs to be done (assuming the router has a default configuration):

• Login to the RUTX10 WebUI;
  • Setup WiFi in the Network → Wireless menu;
  • Plug the RUTX10 LAN1 port into the passive PoE switch;
  • Navigate to Network → Interfaces;
  • Click the pencil icon on the LAN interface;
  • In the DHCP submenu, select the option Relay instead of Enabled and specify your DHCP servers' IP address (192.168.87.254 in your case);
  • The RUTX10 will become inaccessible, as all of the clienclients receive the DHCP lease from the RUTX09;
  • In case something goes wrong and troubleshooting will need to be done, static IP in the RUTX10 LAN range could be set on your device and the RUTX10 should be reachable again with the address 192.168.88.254.
Let me know if you're still experiencing any issues!

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous

Hi Daumantas,

So in this configuration how will the RUTX10 know how to find the 192.168.87.0/24 network when it wants to forward the DHCP request from a Wi-Fi client?

I have tried this configuration with the RUTX10 having 192.168.87.253 bound to it's LAN interface, but it didn't work (pretty much the same as my original post but in relay mode instead of disabled).

Regards,

Richard.

by anonymous

Hi Daumantas,

I have figured out the problem, for some reason my PoE switch was in Extend mode (maybe someone knocked the switch on the front) and both routers were connected at 10baseT.  I'm not sure why this would have meant they were unable to talk to one another, but turning Extend off has solved the communication issue.

Indeed I still have the LAN as WAN configuration and it's working just fine, relaying the DHCP requests and issuing 88.* addresses.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Richard.

by anonymous
Hello,

Glad you figured out the issue!

10G is not supported on our devices, that's most likely why it did not work.

Best regards,
DaumantasG