FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
980 views 0 comments
by anonymous

Dear Teltonika,

this is kind request to extend your documentation by depiction of all interfaces present on particular Router model, i.e. RJ45 ports, WLAN interfaces, WAN, eth0, eth1 etc. It could be separated to a general overview of the concept, and then specification to particular model.

For instance, RUTX11 has 5 RJ45 ports (4 on eth0, and 1 on eth1), then there are 2 WLAN interfaces. Providing concise diagram in the beginning will help customers to configure e.g. section Network Interfaces > Physical Settings > Interface, where there are options eth0 and eth1 ports, but there is no documentation what it is actually wired to.

I am not asking for explanation here, but update to the Wiki/Documentation. There are standardized block diagrams used by other vendors to introduce customer to the model. That would be nice.

Thank you.

Oldrich

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Teltonika products.

I assume what you want is something like the explanation in this link. I will forward the suggestion to include device switch architecture and port mapping graphs.

In the meantime, for others interested, naming of the interfaces follows the same structure/nomenclature, standard Openwrt/Linux uses. It is explained in a little more depth here.

When picking the device, the user is most likely aware about available interfaces within devices. The tricky part might be separation between LAN and WAN interfaces. In some routers, they might be separate hardware devices (denoted eth0 and eth1), in other instances it might be a single device separated virtually, having different VLAN IDs (eth0.1 and eth0.2).

This can indeed be cleared by using SSH command below:

• ls -l /sys/class/net | grep eth  

General interface naming, found in Teltonika devices:

• eth0, eth0.1 - Applies for physical LAN switch;
  • eth1, eth0.2 - WAN port;
  • eth0.X - VLAN interface;
  • wlan0, wlan1 - wireless 2.4 and 5GHz interfaces;
  • wwan0, wwan1 - mobile interfaces;
  • br-lan - bridged interface.

Best regards,