FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
451 views 7 comments
by anonymous

Hi Teltonica Tech's!

Kindly assist. 

We're setting up a network for a solar installation, usually it's very straight forward but this time this client has a meter we can only access through their unmanaged network, and that network is not allowed to have internet access.

We've got our own network (setting it up new) as 192.168.2.#, and then we've got the clients unmanaged network with no internet access, we need to communicate only with one device at 192.168.0.100.

We're using a TRB140 router and TSW200 switch.

I've tried multiple scenarios, but really struggling. Is there an easy guide? Help would really be appreciated!

Here is diagram trying to explain:

by anonymous
I see the image is a bit scewed. Here is an alternative: https://imgur.com/a/PuIs7YT

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

It seems like you have two different networks connected via unmanaged switches. Unmanaged switches cannot route traffic between different networks. You will have to change your network from 192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24 for it to work or connect the networks with a router. Routers are needed to connect different networks and route traffic between them, while unmanaged switches are used to connect devices to a single network.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Hi Andzej,

- Can Vlan not working by splitting the two networks? And then setup network routes and rules?
- If a second router is needed, will another TRB140 be sufficient or what do you recommend?
- I've set up a test rig at our office as we don't want to struggle with this on site, and at one stage, with all the scenarios I tried, I was able to ping 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 from 192.168.0.100 but was unable to ping 192.168.0.100 from 192.168.2.2 so I really think it is possible, just havent found the correct rules/routing setup yet.
by anonymous
Will it work via VLANS if I introduce a RUT300?
by anonymous

Hi,

The issue with TRB140 is that it has only 1 ethernet port. Hence, port-based VLANs are not an option. Tagged-based VLANs require you end devices to have VLAN IDs configured, which can be problematic for your kind of devices, like different meters (probably the dont even support VLAN IDs). Hence, you would need a router with 2 LAN ports to configure port-based VLANs so that you dont have to configure VLAN IDs on your end devices.

RUT300 could easily be use as it has more ports. One port would be on your regular LAN 192.168.2.0/24, and the other one would be VLAN for 192.168.2.0/24 network (for example, on port 2). You can find VLAN configuration on our wiki page here.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous

Hi Andzeij,

I've purchased the RUT300. I've set up VLAN, I've blocked internet access to Port 3's network (192.168.0.1/24).
I'm able to ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.2.2 and I'm able to ping 192.168.2.1 from 192.168.0.100 but I'm unable to ping 192.168.0.100 from 192.168.2.2 and vise versa. Kindly advise? I'm adding screenshots:

by anonymous
I hope I've found the solution.

I added zone forwarding and it seems to work. Thanks for the inputs so far.
by anonymous
Hi,

Seems like everything is working now. Let me know if there are any issues.

Kind Regards,

Andzej