FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
536 views 2 comments
by anonymous

I am setting up a redundant Internet connection for a customer's network and for our guest Wi-Fi to use a 4G LTE Internet connection if the broadband connection fails. The guest Wi-Fi and customer router will use the RUT950 (X.X.X.53) as the default gateway and forward traffic to the broadband provider's router (X.X.X.49). If a network failure with the broadband provider occurs, the RUT950 should then be able to failover and forward traffic over the LTE network. I am able to force the failover to occur on the WAN interface by configuring the ping test to ping an invalid IP address (8.8.8.7) to make the WAN interface offline. However, when the failover is active the RUT950 will forward traffic to the LTE network only for hosts that are on the RUT950's LAN and will continue to forward all other traffic through the broadband connection. If I disable the WAN interface entirely in the failover configuration the RUT950 will begin to forward traffic for all networks through the LTE network. I have already performed a factory reset with new firmware which hasn't resolved this issue. Firmware version is RUT9_R_00.07.03.1.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Could you please explain your topology a bit more? Is everything connected to a single on RUT950? Is it LAN/WAN port? Does RUT950 uses the same port for incoming and outgoing traffic?

Have you considered putting RUT950 between the broadband router and a switch? Connecting LAN port to a switch and WAN port to the broadband router? Then, the customer's router and guest Wi-Fi will be on the LAN network of RUT950. RUT950 will use the broadband router as a gateway on its WAN. If pings fail on the WAN interface (broadband fails to provide internet connectivity), then RUT950 will use LTE connection to provide internet connectivity for LAN network.

Failover information is available here.

Also, please provide a troubleshoot file. Troubleshoot file can be downloaded from System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot. Attach the file to you question by editing it.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
The network is on a subnet of publicly available IP addresses that is interconnected through an unmanaged switch and the RUT950 is connected through its WAN port to the rest of the subnet. I am trying to see if it is possible to have the failover function in this configuration so that we won't have to change the IP address for the customer router since they operate nearly 24/7.
by anonymous

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed response. I did not receive any notifications for some reason.

Is this still relevant?

Regarding your setup for a redundant Internet connection, I suggest considering VRRP as a solution. However, I am uncertain about the type of broadband router you are using, and whether or not it supports VRRP.

RUT950 supports VRRP. You can find more information about it here.

Since both your incoming and outgoing traffic is through the wired interface, using failover functionalities may not be the best option for your case.

Alternatively, you may want to consider writing a script that will switch to using the mobile interface as the default gateway if pings via the broadband router fail.

Kind Regards,

Andzej