FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
286 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I have a RUTX-11. It has a GPS feature.

I have an iPad mini and was going to pair it via Bluetooth to Garmin Glo2 and use the Gaia maps software on the iPad. Lot of people use this setup. However I was thinking I don't need the Glo2 as I can Bluetooth from iPad to RUTX-11 and "hopefully" use the GPS feature on that to combine with Gaia software as a SatNav.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Bytor

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Do you need to send GPS data from RUTX11 to your IPAD over Bluetooth? Is that correct?

Unfortunately, the Bluetooth feature on RUTX11 cannot be used to send GPS data.

You can find more information about GPS functionality on our wiki page here.

The Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 (BLE 4.0) implementation on RUTX devices cannot be used for two-way communication (send data from RUTX) and is used for data collection purposes. The device can, however, request data from the device. The way BLE works on RUTX devices is that it simply collects data sent by other devices.

To give you an example, imagine RUTX11 scans for BLE devices in proximity and finds a BLE sensor. Then, it checks what kind of device it is (for example, checks its MAC address). RUTX11 determines that this is a PUCK Bluetooth sensor and, if paired, starts collecting data from it. Next, when the sensor broadcasts its data, RUTX11 identifies that the data comes from that specific sensor and collects it. RUTX can also request information from the device, for example, it's status'. More information about Bluetooth on RUTX11 is available here.

As an option, RUTX11 can then send the collected data via 'Data to Server' functionality.

More information on 'Data to Server' functionality can be found here.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hello Andzej,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly!

So as I understand from your message - the Bluetooth on the RUTX-11 cannot be used to RECEIVE data from the RUTX-11, only to SEND data to the RUTX-11.

That seems like a limitation - because ultimately the RUTX-11 collects data from 4G Networks, from WiFi and GPS - that data can then be used to access internet etc.

I did check the GPS link you added and could see the example "Map" - so it can pinpoint where the location of the modem is presumably. My unit will be fitted to a Campervan - so that is useful - but what would be better is if we could then used all those satellites it is connected to, to then plan a route somewhere.

If I cannot use GPS feature for SATNAV, what is the point of GPS? Why would you have it? Can you give me an example of where customers use it - as I'm struggling to think of where you would use it if not for SATNAV?

Thanks

Bytor
by anonymous
Hi,

In Teltonika TRB and RUT devices, GPS is used to determine the device's location, which can be sent to a server or used for mapping and geolocation purposes. The GPS location simply cannot be sent over Bluetooth but can be sent over the internet (TCP/IP).  It is also used for location tracking, which can be useful for fleet management or asset tracking purposes. For example, a company may use GPS data from RUTX devices to track the location of their vehicles or equipment. Although there are other GPS trackers available on the market that would be better in some cases, this can be enough in some scenarios. Also, the GPS is not the main functionality of the device. So, GPS is not used to plan routes. Instead, route planning is typically done through a separate software or application, which may use GPS data as part of its functionality.

As I have already mentioned, the Bluetooth feature is primarily used for data collection purposes, such as collecting data from BLE sensors. The collected data can then be sent to a server using the device's "Data to Server" functionality.

Kind Regards,

Andzej