FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
355 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hello we have an RUTX14 device running firmware RUTX_R_00.07.03.4. When performing a speed test we noticed that we could only achieve 50mbps however with the same SIM card in a 4G phone we were able to achieve over 100mpbs. Checking the status on the phone we can see the phone is connected using 4x Carrier Aggregation however checking the status on the RUTX14 it only ever achieves 3x Carrier Aggregation.  The mobile network can support 5x Carrier Aggregation. How can we get the router to connect using 4x or 5x CA?

These are the supported CA band options for my mobile provider.

Supported Carrier Aggregation combinations:
• 2CA: 7+7, 3+7, 3+28, 7+28, 1+3, 1+7, 1 +28, 3+3, 3+8
• 3CA: 3+7+7, 7+7+28, 3+7+28, 3+3+7, 3+3+28, 1+7+7, 1+3+7, 1+3+3
• 4CA: 3+7+7 +28, 3+3+7+7, 3+3+7+28, 1+ 7+7+28, 1+3+7+7, 1+3+3 +7, 1+3+7+28
• 5CA: 1+3+3+7+7, 1+3+3+7+28, 1+3+7+7+28, 3+3+7+7+28

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The difference comes from capabilities of modems between RUTX14 and your smartphone. The router comes with EG12 modem, which is an LTE Cat 12 device and is capable of 3 of aggregating three bands at most. Your phone has a more advanced hardware.

Please check this thread, which lists possible CA combinations supported by the modem of RUTX14. 

Best regards,

by anonymous
Hi ZygimantasBliu

The RUTX14 marketing material claims up to 600mbps and LTE CAT12 support and is the fastest in the Teltonika range. How is it my phone from 2019 is faster than a device released in 2022? I have checked the thread you mentioned and found that the router does indeed connect to those bands (1,3,28) but I cannot achieve more than 50mbps, surely there must be a way to increase LTE speed on a router with such high (claimed) specs. I don't expect to get 600mbps but having an older model phone that out performs a brand new router and that doesn't site quite right.
by anonymous

Device manufacturing year does not necessarily correlate to the maximum achievable speeds. Your 2019 phone might have an LTE Cat 18 modem, which uses advanced signal processing techniques and is more capable than the one used by RUTX14.

Additionally, you could do some testing on the router by setting/limiting LTE bands the device uses for carrier aggregation, to look for a more satisfactory performance, as the bands the modem picks automatically may not be the fastest ones, but seem to provide better connection due to a set of other variables. For instructions on how to manually set the bands, please refer to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAkjQ6a2qdc

Also, the difference in speeds may depend, whether the deices are tested with the same operator SIMs.

Also, are you using the device with all antennas attached? Did you measure within the same spot?

If higher speeds are mandatory, and the RUTX14 is planned to be placed in a stationary spot for a long time, an external antenna directional can be used, if the direction of the cell tower is known, to improve reception.

Best regards,