FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
170 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hello my question is,

I have a TRB140 and SCADA/HMI software. This software can only send SMS via COM port, by AT commands. Can I send SMS with the HMI software via a Virtual Com Port driver, or what device do I need for this?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

TRB140 does not create a virtual COM port when connected via USB. Rather, it creates a virtual network adapter which is usually utilized by Windows/Linux/MacOS.

The device you're looking for is most likely TRB240 or TRM250, as they act as modems, and create an AT command COM port, which can be used to directly manipulate the modem and send the SMS messages.

Other devices that could be used for this as well are TRB142, TRB145, RUT956, and other devices with serial or USB host ports. This way, the serial cable could be plugged into the PC directly, and the router/gateway could be set to partial or full control. In partial control, the modem will be controlled by our device, while in full control, the serial connection host will be in full control. More information can be found here.

Let me know if any more information is needed!

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Thank you for your reply
I may have expressed myself unclearly. I'm looking for a modem/gateway with only a rj45 network connection, no hardware USB, no hardware com port connection.
My Scada/HMI server has a virtual com port. The communication should take place via this virtual com port, for sending SMS, via at
commands or directly with the RJ45 network connection via SNMP as an e-mail. Do you have something like that in your portfolio?

Best regards,

Michael Neupert

by anonymous

Hello,

I'm afraid we do not have a solution that would fit your needs.

None of our devices can utilize a virtual COM port directly, and neither can emails be sent using SNMP.

Perhaps the SCADA software supports making HTTP Post/Get requests? A short introduction to this method can be found here.

It is also possible to forward emails to SMS if your software supports it.

Let me know if any more information is needed for any methods mentioned above.

Best regards,
DaumantasG