FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
282 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Dear Support,

I would like to forward broadcast traffic from my Notebook through the VPN connection.
How I must configure the VPN connection in VPN hub to forward all broadcast traffic through the VPN tunnel.

BR, Tifoso

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

The RMS VPN Hub uses OpenVPN and works in tunnel mode, which means that it operates at layer 3 of the OSI model. If you want to pass broadcast traffic via OpenVPN, you would need to configure it in TAP mode (layer 2). Currently, it is not possible to configure RMS VPN Hub in TAP mode. So, unfortunately, you will not be able to pass broadcast traffic via RMS VPN Hub.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Dear Andrej,

are there any plan to configure VPN in TAP mode?

Question:
Does it not work when I configure the NIC as a bridge on my notebooke?

BR, Tifoso
by anonymous
Hi,

It has been suggested to R&D, but at this time, there is no definitive answer as to whether TAP mode will be available in RMS VPN Hub in the future. Therefore, I am unable to provide a concrete answer regarding the availability of TAP mode in the future.

Regarding your question, the OpenVPN TAP mode is essential to bridge the physical NIC with OpenVPN Tap interface. This would allow communication over the OpenVPN tunnel as if devices would be on the same ethernet subnet. Simply configuring NIC as a bridge on the notebook will not work in this case because the issue is not related to the notebook's network interface. The VPN hub is not configured to operate in TAP mode, which is necessary to pass broadcast traffic. Even if you configure the notebook's NIC as a bridge, the VPN hub will still not be able to forward broadcast traffic.

Kind Regards,

Andzej