FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
159 views 3 comments
by anonymous
We need one SMS service through 4G gateway.

In a 2 datacentre setup, we want a redundancy setup, so if one datacenter goes down the other will take over.

I was wondering, if a setup with one TRB 4G gateway in each center could do this kind of failover functionality.

Other vendors (e.g. SMSEagle) can do this, but are more expensive..  

Best regards

Henrik

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Could you provide a more detailed description on how this failover should be implemented?

Best regards,
Best answer
by anonymous
Hello,

sure. It should follow some kind of active/passive HA cluster functionality. I guess this can be implemented in different ways.
One obvious could be like VRRP, with in addition to the 2 gateways Lan IP-addr, also a virtual Lan IP-addr that the VRRP master normally own, but will be taken by passive node, if master fails, Clients sends SMS commands to the virtual address.

While I do not know the SMSEagle functionality, it seems from the picture of theirs failover, that they use an alternative, by doing the keep-alive between the 4G ports and both having the same Lan ip-addr, but the backup unit having the Lan connection disabled until keep-alive to master fails.

Well, these 2 alternatives are actually different, in that the first is a Lan connectivity failover, where the second is more a Wan connectivity failover. Both could be useful, but I guess my main priority would be the first Lan connectivity alternative.   

Best regards

Henrik
by anonymous

VRRP is supported by TRB245 as well. Could you check if this configuration example is what you are after? It is written to for RUT240, but applies to TRB245, the difference being that the TRB has only a single LAN port, thus a switch would be necessary.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Yes, you are right.

I could see that the RUT devices supported VRRT, but was unsure about the TRB gateways. But seems they all supports this router redundancy protocol. Thanks a lot for the answer.

Best regards

Henrik