FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
329 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Dear Teltonika-team,

I'm sure there is some docu but I didn't find :-|

Question: Is there some help/link how to combine both mobile interfaces (mob1s1a1 & mob1s2a1) to ONE interface ( that e.g. can be used in failover-section ) ? Similar to Multi-AP in the Wireless-Section.

I read somewhere that bonding is not supported, but may be there is other method to provide ONE interface for both data-streams.

Thx for your help,
Rainer

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

On our devices, mob1s1a1 and mob1s2a1 are just logical interface names for SIM 1 and SIM 2. The actual Linux system sees them both as one physical interface - wwan0mob1s1a1 and mob1s2a1 were simply created for the management of both SIMs to be easier.

While you are correct that these interfaces do not work like the others in the Failover section, that is because SIM Switch feature is used for switching between the SIMs.

Bonding is yet another topic. Your understanding of bonding is correct, it "merges" the data stream from both SIMs into one, thous increasing the throughput for a single connection. In our routers, we only offer Load Balancing, which can increase the throughput, but multiple clients are needed to utilize it (a single client will not notice the increase). More information can be found here. We also support bonding using a third-party package Bondix.

However, as RUT955 only has one modem, you will not be able to utilize bonding or load balancing between the two SIMs, it's only possible to perform it between a few different sources, that can both be active at the same time (both SIMs cannot be active). If you'd like to combine the throughput of 2 SIM cards, I'd recommend looking into RUTX12, which is currently the only device in our lineup that has 2 modems.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

Best answer
by anonymous
Great thx.

As you said, I'd like to let do the sim-switching in background as needed. So I'm not interested in these dedicated interfaces mob1s1a1 & mob1s2a1 in failover-section. I'd like to have 1 interface in Failover-Section just called "Multi-Mob" (similar to Multi-AP). This virtual Multi-Mob interface should just be connected to the wwan0.

Is there any link/help how I could create such a virtual Interface for Multi-Mob?

Many thx, Rainer
by anonymous
Hello,

This is not really possible in RutOS implementation.

One thing that could be done, is both of the interfaces could be added to Failover, and if the SIM Switch is configured, everything should work in the same way as you described.

Best regards,
DaumantasG