FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
307 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I am trying to change the settings on my RUTX50 to give a domain name. So if I access a device by name I can use say "PRINTER1", "PRINTER2" etc, but I Would like to also use "PRINTER1.MYDOMAIN", "PRINTER2.MYDOMAIN". I can see from the CLI that the RUTX does not have a domain name set and I have tried changing the DNSMasq options file to force it but that is not working either.

Considering these are basically Linux boxes, it must be possible to do this, surely?

Please help!

Kevin

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

To set/change the domain name:

uci set dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domain='yourdomain'
uci set dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].local='/yourdomain/'
uci commit
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

Regards,

by anonymous
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have helped. Some items with a DHCP lease work with "devicename" only, some with "devicename.mydomain" and others don't seem to exist at all. Is this to do with DNS perhaps?
by anonymous

> Some items with a DHCP lease work with "devicename" only, some with "devicename.mydomain" and others don't seem to exist at all

How did you test the results ?

by anonymous
OK I have looked deeper into this - got a few things on here so trying to focus.

It seems that everything with a DHCP lease is behaving perfectly. What is not working is items that I have a fixed IP for, which is anything that is essential to be stable on my network (fileservers and so on). When I used PFSense, I would create static addresses for the items that had a fixed IP as well, and that always seemed to work. With the Teltonika, it doesnt seem to work. On PFSense I would set the MAC, IP, ClientID & Hostname, with the Teltonika I only have MAC, IP & Description. Could this be the problem where the issue lies?

I suppose I could fix everything to the static address I want using static leases & put them back on DHCP, but I would prefer if the Teltonika was offline that all the essential stuff stay on its known IP addresses.

Appreciating this help, thanks!
by anonymous

On PFSense I would set the MAC, IP, ClientID & Hostname, with the Teltonika I only have MAC, IP & Description.

You can set a lot of options using the dhcp server on the RUTX: go to Network->Interfaces, use the pen to edit the lan then select the "Avanced options" in the DHCP SERVER section.

The full list of supported options is given by dnsmasq --help dhcp.

You probably want to set 6, 15, 42 and maybe 119.

by anonymous
Brilliant! I noticed that there were options but I didn't know if that was the right direction. I will look into this in the morning and update how I get on. Thanks!