FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
212 views 5 comments
by anonymous
Hey there,

i'm need to make a vpn connection with some teltonika routers.

I successfully make a L2TP VPN connection with a server router and a client router with this tutorial:
https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/L2TP_configuration_examples

For me it is not clear, how to every device on the LAN ports become a IP in the same subnet.
The Goal is one network with IPs for the Routers and the connected devices on their LAN ports.

Is this possible?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Could you please clarify your question a bit more?

L2TP clients are assigned IP addresses by the L2TP server. L2TP has its own virtual interface. So devices that connect to the LAN ports obtain IP addresses from your router as they are connected to the LAN interface.

Keep in mind, that L2TP is used to establish a tunnel and does not encrypt traffic. If you need to interconnect the same networks and you want to have encryption, I would suggest taking a look at L2TP over IPSec or OpenVPN in TAP mode configurations. OpenVPN in TAP mode would probably be easier to configure, assuming it is possible for both of your devices to run OpenVPN.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Ok Fine.

But how can i add a Device on the Ethernet Port of my router to the assigned ip of the Client/Client itself?
by anonymous
I think there is a Route necessary or a l2tp Interface. How can i connect a device to the Virtual Interface?
by anonymous

Hi,

L2TP creates a tunnel between two L2TP devices (a client and a server). Since your router is the L2TP client, it will be assigned an IP address by the server. If you want your end device to obtain an IP directly from the L2TP server, you can run an L2TP client on the end device itself. Take a look at the configuration example here.

However, in your case, I would suggest using OpenVPN in TAP mode to enable communication between two sites with the same subnet. A configuration example is available here.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous

Hi Andzej,

thanks for your reply.

The problem is, that i'm using a private wan/4g network. I have a "Client" which is connected to the 4g network via 4g. I have also a "Server" which is connected to the closed wan/4g network via an openvpn client over internet wan. 

So i need to openvpn:

1. Client to connect the router to the wan/4g network

2. Server for the TAP connection

It didn't work for me

by anonymous

Hi

It would be great if you could share troubleshoot files from your OpenVPN client and, if possible, from the server (if it is a Teltonika device, if not, then OpenVPN server configuration if possible). Troubleshoot file can be downloaded from System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot. Attach those files by editing your question.

Kind Regards,

Andzej