FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
722 views 0 comments
by anonymous

Hi,

I have existing code (written about a year ago), which uses `qmicli` to read signal quality and cell info on our Teltonika routers.

We were using the "qmicli --nas-get-cell-location-info" command, which gave:
1. The RSRQ, RSRP, RSRP, RSSI
2. Info about the current cell: `Tracking Area Code`, `Global Cell ID, `Serving Cell ID`
3. The current band being used (`EUTRA Absolute RF Channel Number`).

I have several questions:

1. On my RUTX12 router, after upgrading the firmware (to `RUTX_R_00.07.04.1`)  the `qmicli` util does not exist, and I only see the `uqmi` utility. Is this change missing from your release notes?
    1. I do not see any reference to this change in the RUTX firmware release notes. (the latest qmi reference I see is `Updated qmicli to version 1.28.2` from `RUTX_R_00.07.01 | 2021.11.18`)
    2. I do see `Migrated from qmicli to uqmi tool` in the `RUT9XX_R_00.06.08.4`, but no reference in the RUTX release notes
  2. Is there any way for me to install `qmicli` on the router? Or do I now have no choice but to use `uqmi`? (which will be inconvenient, because for other (non-Teltonika) devices we use qmicli, and we willll now have to support 2 different APIs)
  3. If I cannot use `qmicli`, what is the recommended way to get the equivalent of `qmicli --nas-get-cell-location-info`. (specifically the data I listed above).
  4. I am not managing to get the cell ids (specifically `Tracking Area Code`, `Global Cell ID, `Serving Cell ID`).
    1. I found the command `gsmctl --cellid`, but I am not managing to decipher the output (example output: 392705. What does it mean?). According to the docs it's a "a 7 digit sequence of decimal numbers indicating the cell ID", but how does that correspond to standard `LAC and `Cell ID`?
    2. the `gsmctl --serving` gives output like this: `Access tech: LTE | TDD mode: FDD | MCC: 425 | MNC: 3 | UE state: 3`, which also doesn't seem to correspond to be the data I'm interested in.
    3. `uqmi --get-serving-system` also doesn't seem to give the info I'm looking for.
  5. Regarding the current band - the command `gsmctl --band` returns output that looks like an enum (e.g LTE_B3), is there a cli way to get the band in MHz (i.e get `1800` instead of `LTE_B3`)?
  6. What is the recommended way to get signal info (rssi, rsrq etc.)? Is there a difference between using `gsmctl --signal` compared to `uqmi --get-signal-info`? Is any method prefereable?

Thanks in advance,

Tuval

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

There are a few ways to get the needed information. If you use more than one model of Teltonika devices in your fleet, we recommend using the ubus commands, as they are standardized across all of our devices.

The command, that will provide the most relevant information is most likely ubus call gsm.modem0 get_ca_info. It provides information about:

• Primary and secondary bands;
  • Their EARFCN (frequency);
  • RSRQ, RSRP, RSRP, RSSI;
  • Physical (non-unique) Cell ID;

Another command for the missing information is ubus call gsm.modem0 get_net_reg_stat.

Both of these commands return the data in JSON format, which can then be parsed to get the needed information.

An alternative could be to get the needed information directly using the AT commands. AT commands can be sent to the modem using the gsmctl module.

The command returns these parameters:

root@Teltonika-RUTX50:~# gsmctl -A 'AT+QENG="servingcell"'
+QENG: "servingcell","NOCONN"
+QENG: "LTE","FDD",246,02,105A33,264,9435,28,2,2,90,-85,-11,-60,11
+QENG: "NR5G-NSA",246,02,264,-107,5,-14,468250,40,8,255

Where:

• LTE - network type;
  • FDD - band type;
  • 246 - MCC;
  • 02 - MNC;
  • 105A33 - (Global, unique) Cell ID in hexadecimal format;
  • 264 - Physical (not unique) cell ID;
  • 9435 - EARFCN (Frequency);
  • 28 - frequency band ID;
  • 2 - UL bandwidth;
  • 2 - DL bandwidth;
  • 90 - TAC;
  • -85 - RSRP;
  • -11 - RSRQ;
  • -60 - RSSI;
  • 11 - SINR;

If you choose to use AT commands, I would recommend parsing them from the beginning, as the end may contain some more parameters.

uqmi utility also has commands to obtain signal parameters. The choice depends on what is the most convenient tool for you to use.

Let me know if any more information is needed!

Best regards,
DaumantasG