FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
588 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hello!
I have two routers. One is installed in the building, the second on a pole at a distance of 500 meters. I took out the external Wi-Fi antenna and pointed it at the router on the pole. How to properly combine them into one wireless LAN?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Could you provide a more detailed description of your use case?

500 meters is a rather long distance for WiFi, is it really that far in between the devices or just a mistype? You will not be able to achieve high speeds or reliable connection and high gain directional antenna is also needed for the router on a pole.

Suppose you do manage to make the devices see each other, configuration, as suggested here, should help you to achieve your goal.

If you want to receive WAN from the router on a pole, some ethernet to fiber conversion would be more manageable, as light can travel such distances without much of a loss. Then the in the building would simply require its LAN interface to be configured as a DHCP client.

If you need to retrieve some monitoring data from the device on the pole, there are other remote management options, which are listed here. In particular you can consider SMS, email, MODBUS/MQTT data to server solutions or, for the most convenience, Teltonika's remote management system RMS.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Hello.
I have a high gain directional antenna.
In our case, it is impossible to run a cable or fiber between two routers. Therefore, we need to establish a connection over a wireless network.
IP equipment is connected to both routers and it must communicate with each other over this local network.
I'm interested in how to properly configure this in the interfaces of the routers themselves. I will solve the issue with the quality of the wireless communication channel.
by anonymous

In this case, I would suggest to check the following configuration example: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTOS_relay_/_Wi-Fi_extender_/_repeater_/_bridge_configuration.

In this configuration, all devices would receive IP leases from the same DHCP server, enabling them to communicate.

Keep in mind that you may need to download Relay configuration package from Services -> Package manager -> Packages section, and, if you are using 7.4 firmware, relaying DHCP is configured and enabled in Network -> Interfaces -> Relayd section.

Alternatively, both devices have access to the internet and at least one of them has a public IP, VPN can be configured between them.

Best regards,