FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
603 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

i want my RUTX11 to send out WIFI so that windows recognizes it as a metered connection so that i don't have to change the network settings on every new connected PC. I tried searching for that feature in the settings and the wiki but didn't find any information about it. Currently using Firmware 7.02.7.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

I have found the solution, via the CLI it is possible to add a value so that the wifi connection is automatically metered for windows as written in this guide: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/ms-meteredconnection

When i added these two:

uci add_list wireless.radio0.hostapd_options='vendor_elements=DD080050F21102000200'

uci add_list wireless.radio1.hostapd_options='vendor_elements=DD080050F21102000200'

all my Windows-PC's automatically set the wifi-connection to metered!
Best answer
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want to have a data limit associated to router's wireless clients?

In this case, you can utilize RUTX11's Hotspot functionality, which is accessible from router's WebUI Services -> Hotspot section. 

First, I would suggest to update your device's firmware to the latest 7.04.1 firmware version.

The device configuration is as follows:

• Navigate to Services -> Hotspot -> User groups.
  • Edit existing default or add a new user group, where you can set upload/download speeds and data limits.
  • Switch to Local users page, if you intend to create unique credentials for each user, alternatively MAC auth or SMS One Time Password options can be used.
  • Go to General page;
  • Select Wi – Fi interface you want to use for hotspot and press Add;
  • Make sure Hotspot uses different subnet than router's LAN.
  • You can setup hotspot password, users group policy you have configured, landing page details, etc.
  • Once done, press Save & apply;
  • Now go to Network -> Wireless and press pencil icon next to the interface you have selected for your Hotspot, to enter editing window;
  • From the Network option's drop down list select No network;
  • Switch to Advanced settings tab:
    • Set slider button of Disable Inactivity Polling option to enabled;
    • Disable Disassociate On Low Acknowledgement option; 
  • Switch to wireless security and set Encryption option to No encryption, if you have configured different credentials in Hotspot configuration;
  • Press Save & apply.

You should now be able to connect to the hotspot with connection metering.

More details on Hotspot configuration are provided in the link below:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX11_Hotspot.   

Best regards,

by anonymous
Thank you for your quick answer,

i just tried to setup a Hotspot, but i don't think that that is the right thing in my case. I do not really want to limit speeds or data in general but limit what Windows and programs up/downloads. And i found out that Windows does exactly that if the connection is metered. And with the Hotspot it doesn't recognize that connection as a metered connection.
by anonymous

Apologies for misunderstanding.

If I understand correctly, metered connections can be set up on the Windows side, as instructed here. Data limit on the wireless interface, if necessary, can also be controlled on Windows machine.