FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
151 views 4 comments
by anonymous

Hi guys,

I am new and still fighting with the router RUTX50

Because I need to get access from Internet to my internal applications I followed the procedure to set up a DDNS

Dyn.com DDNS-Konfiguration – Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

But I a was not successfully ... looks like the WAN is still disabled and I have no idea what is wrong or how to enable it. .. it makes the impression that no IP assigned to the WAN setup (see screenshot)

maybe I forget a step to setup and route over the WAN .. but no idea how 

Would be happy to get a bit help to solve it.

Thanks in advance

Chris

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

The screenshot shows a WAN interface that is used for wired internet access. Do you use wired internet, or do you use a SIM card?

If you're using a wired WAN but the interface isn't working, please provide a troubleshoot file. You can download it from System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot. You can attach the file by editing your question, and it will only be visible to Teltonika moderators.

If you use a SIM card, your interface will be mob1s1a1 (and mob1s2a1 for SIM slot 2).

If so, is your mob1s1a1 interface working?

If it is, does your IP address start with 10.x.x.x or 100.x.x.x? If it does, your IP address is likely a private one, which means you won't be able to access your device from the internet. 

But, your mobile operator may have a specific APN that can provide you with a public IP address. If so, you need to contact your SIM provider and ask them about obtaining a public IP and the APN, which can be configured on your device.

Having a public IP will enable you to access your device from the internet. 

However, an even better approach would be to use a VPN. I suggest you take a look at ZeroTier which is simple to set up and doesn't require a public IP address or a VPN server.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous

indeed I am using a SIM and the access is working fine - not really super good over LTE - but enough to work from home.

Yes it is an IP with 10.x.x.x.x

The LTE 5G provider is Telekom and the APN is Auto (internet.telekom)

Now I understand why I do not get a public IP because the 10.x.x.x.x is obviously a Telekom NATIP

Regarding VPN ... and your suggestion. Does not the VPN reduce speed and performance?

Thx

Chris

by anonymous
Hi,

While using a VPN connection may result in slower speeds, you do not need to route all traffic via VPN in this case. So the speeds for your normal traffic will be fine. You only need to establish a tunnel to access your devices remotely. This can be done using the ZeroTier VPN client application on both your PC and router (download a ZeroTier package via the package manager). By configuring ZeroTier to push the LAN network of your router to your PC, you can access the devices in the router's LAN network via VPN.

The VPN provides a secure channel for your data. If you were to use a public IP address instead, you would need to open ports on your router. This is an insecure practice that exposes you to malicious users. So it is better if you avoid exposing ports, if possible.

ZeroTier is free (with limitations), so you can try it out and see if it fits your needs.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous

" .. But, your mobile operator may have a specific APN that can provide you with a public IP address. If so, you need to contact your SIM provider and ask them about obtaining a public IP and the APN, which can be configured on your device... "

Not sure whether this is possible .. at least I can give a try