FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
325 views 13 comments
by anonymous

Hi,

I'm having trouble in changing APN via SMS with a RUT950 7.03. SEnding this command "cellular apn=ibox.tim.it" or any other address fail. Password used is correct.

This is the error I get from the router

Thu Apr 20 11:40:32 2023 kern.notice kernel: SMS received from: +3934087XXXX (internal modem)

Thu Apr 20 11:40:32 2023 daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Failed to perform 'change_mobile_settings' handler

Thu Apr 20 11:40:32 2023 daemon.info /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Removing SMS '0' from memory

What's the error?

Thanks

Kind regards

4 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Please update to RUT9_R_00.07.04.2 and check if you are still experiencing issues. There have been some improvements made to SMS handling. Also, since the APN ibox.tim.it is in our APN database, you could try using Auto APN feature.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

0 votes
by anonymous

HI

Done the update suggested but I'm still having the same issue. I've perfomed the test on another router, same issue

Thu Apr 20 14:03:46 2023 kern.notice kernel: SMS received from: +393408767563 (internal modem)

Thu Apr 20 14:03:46 2023 daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Failed to perform 'change_mobile_settings' handler

Thu Apr 20 14:03:46 2023 daemon.info /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Removing SMS '4' from memory

Can't change apn via SMS

by anonymous
Hello,

Could you attach the exact SMS message you are sending? Replace the password with admin01

Thank you.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
0 votes
by anonymous
HI

This is the sms I'm sending "Mypassword cellular apn=ibox.tim.it"

It seems that any cellular command works

TIM default auto APN is wap.tim.it  which does not work at all.
by anonymous
Sorry forgot to say that with admin01 password I got

Thu Apr 20 14:45:08 2023 daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Password authentication failed for '+393408.......
by anonymous
Just to clarify, quotes are not used in the actual message, correct?
by anonymous
Yes certainly, text without quotes

Matteo
by anonymous

This is the screenshot o

by anonymous
I am unable to replicate this issue on v7.4.2. Please try factory resetting the device by navigating to System → Backup and check if it works. If it does not, please generate a troubleshoot file by navigating to System → Administration → Troubleshoot and attach it to the original post. It will only be visible to Teltonika moderators.
by anonymous
As I told I have 2 different routers that shows this behavior: It's not limited to a single unit.

Resetting it it's quite complicated as 2 IPSEC VPN are configured over it.

Can I send just the troubleshoot file?

Regards
by anonymous

In this case, we can try using UCI API.

Send this command:

uci set network.mob1s1a1.apn=ibox.tim.it

Then another SMS:

uci commit network

And reboot the router using SMS.

Let me know how it goes!

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
<This is the log I get once sent SMS command

Thu Apr 20 15:52:37 2023 daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Unknown UCI command 'commit'

Thu Apr 20 15:52:37 2023 daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Failed to perform 'uci' handler

Thu Apr 20 15:52:37 2023 daemon.info /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Removing SMS '4' from memory
by anonymous
Hello,

Sorry, it seems like the UCI commit command is run automatically. Did you receive a reply when sending the first command?
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

No reply at all to any of these messages. Can't understand the meaning of " itseems like the UCI commit command is run automatically"

This log extract is the result of the UCI SMS command sent

regards

by anonymous

Hello,

UCI functionality is described here

When run via CLI, the command UCI commit is used to apply the changes. However, in SMS utilities, it seems like these changes are applied automatically after the initial SMS command is sent. So to rephrase the initial suggestion, the UCI command via SMS in your case should look like so: 

<admin_pass> uci set network.mob1s1a1.apn=ibox.tim.it

The router should then reply via SMS:

Updated option: network.mob1s1a1.apn=ibox.tim.it

If it does not, there may be something wrong with the configuration. Are you able to access the router remotely?

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Hi,

clear now. I can conferm that no reply is sent by the router.

Yes I'm able to access to router remotely either via RMS or via my VPN  and with the one in my lab used for test I can access directly also in addition to RMS and VPN.
by anonymous
Hello,

The reply is most likely not being sent because your SIM card does not support it. Could you verify that the APN does not change with the UCI command as well?

Could you try taking a backup from your router, then factory restoring it and uploading the backup? This may fix the issue, as now it seems like a firmware issue. The device can be restored to factory defaults by navigating to System → Backup.

Best regards,
DaumantasG