FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
623 views 10 comments
by anonymous
We have two 4G working SIMs. Both SIMs have been tested and work in the SIM1 slot but don't work in the SIM2 slot. Both SIM1 & 2 have the same config (apart from the metric and priority order) and antennas connected but SIM2 is always down. I've factory restarted the RUTX50, updated the firmware, and disabled and reenabled the interface with no joy. This is also a new device

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Can you clarify how you are performing the switch between the SIMs? Are you changing the default SIM?

Could you try running this command from the CLI:

ubus call sim change '{"sim":2}'

And check if the mobile connection establishes.

If it does not, please navigate to System → Administration → Troubleshoot and generate a troubleshoot file. This file can be attached to the original post and will only be visible to Teltonika moderators.

Please keep in mind, that only one SIM card can be active at the same time.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Both SIMs cards are in the RUTX50 and the goal is to have SIM1 as the primary and SIM2 as the failover SIM. However, the issue at the moment is that the SIM2 interface is down (but enabled) regardless of what SIM card we use.

I have run the CLI command but unfortunately, didn't resolve the issue. I'll attach the troubleshooting file shortly.
by anonymous

Hello,

Tested this functionality on the RUTX50, however, everything seems to be working as intended.

Perhaps you could remove the front cover of your device and inspect the SIM card slot for any physical damage?

If that is not the case, I would recommend reinstalling the firmware using the bootloader procedure described here.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous

The front cover of the RUTX50 has been removed but I couldn't see any physical damage. Tried swapping the SIM cards (including the plastic adapters) between interface SIM1 and SIM2 while the front cover is off but still no joy.

I've already tried updating the firmware from its default version to the latest but didn't work. I can try reinstalling the firmware using the bootloader and get back to you ASAP with the results.

by anonymous
Sorry, I should have said. That picture was taken with the power disconnected and the SIM cards removed from both interfaces to see if there was any damage.
by anonymous
Reinstalling the firmware also didn't resolve the issue with the SIM2 interface.
by anonymous

Hello,

Just so that we are on the same page, RUTX50 has only one modem which means that only 1 SIM card (and 1 mobile interface) can be active at the same time. 

SIM1 mobile interface is mob1s1a1, while SIM2 interface is mob1s2a1. 

Could you check the following:

Make sure both SIM cards are inserted and both, mob1s1a1 and mob1s2a1 interfaces are enabled as well. Then, navigate to Network -> Mobile -> General -> SIM2 Tab -> Enable default SIM. Make sure you press Save & apply. See image.

Then, go to Network -> Interfaces and check if mob1s2a1 interface for SIM2 is up.

Is mob1s2a1 interface up?

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous

mob1s2a1 is now up while mob1s1a1 is down after changing the default interface as suggested. However, how do we configure the RUT50 to failover between mob1s1a1 and mob1s2a1 if there is a fault with the SIM or provider?

We have enabled failover on both SIM interfaces but if I now remove the SIM from the default mob1s2a1 interfaces, mob1s1a1 is still showing as offline. Our goal is for a 4G/5G appliance with dual SIM and multi-provider that can failover to the backup SIM in case of an outage.

by anonymous

Hello,

Failover cannot be used to switch between the SIMs. To achieve SIM switching, you will need to configure it in Network → Mobile → SIM Switch. The rules for when to perform SIM Switch also need to be configured there. Make sure to configure the rule on SIM2 when to switch back to the primary SIM.

Failover on RUTX50 can be used to (as an example) switch between SIM and wired WAN. So if you'd only like to switch between SIMs, failover is not needed.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous

Thanks for your help. After following the recommended changes, the interface will now change from mob1s1a1 to mob1s2a1 if it's down and back again once it's online. Thank you for your help

by anonymous
Glad we could help!

Let us know if you encounter any further issues!

Best regards,
DaumantasG