FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
538 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I'm trying to use a PPPoE connection on the RUTX50 as the primary and use it access the internet via Wi-Fi and Lan.

If I switch the WAN interface off and connect LAN to LAN to another router I can get to the internet via Wi-Fi.

Do do I set up the RUTX50 to use WAN as primary and use this connection over Wi-Fi LAN?

Thank you,

Alvin

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

If you are looking to use PPPoE wired WAN as your main internet source, then you will need to configure the WAN interface for PPPoE.

You can do so by accessing the WebUI of your device. Configure PPPoE by editing WAN settings in Network -> Interfaces -> edit WAN. There, select PPPoE as the protocol and set other required parameters, such as a username and password. You can find information about interface settings here.

To ensure that this connection is your main connection for internet access, drag this interface to the top so that it is the first interface in the list. This will ensure that this interface is a preferred interface for internet access.

In case you want your RUTX50 to use a different access point (a separate device) for internet access, you can configure RUTX50 in wireless

client mode. This way, RUTX50 will connect to an access point, and all devices connected to the LAN network of RUTX50 will be able to access the internet via this access point. I suggest watching our YouTube video here.

This configuration will create an additional interface, similar to the WAN interface for the PPPoE. You can then arrange the order of these interfaces as you wish, as described previously.

If you want to use a PPPoE connection as your main internet source and swap to a wireless WAN connection only when PPPoE becomes unavailable, you can configure failover. With failover, when the interface with higher priority (lowest metric) loses connectivity, the next interface in the list takes over to ensure connectivity.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hello,

Have followed the instructions above WAN set as PPPoE is connected and up. I've set WAN as connection 1 in the list. Mobile connection is set up and connected and in position 2 in the list. Fail over is not set up yet.

LAN DHCP is running. I can connect and pick up IP addresses from the router from a win 10 laptop on both cable LAN and Wi-Fi.

There is still an issue the LAN connections (cable and Wi-Fi) will not connect to the internet from the laptop nor any mobile devices. Wi-Fi is in AP mode.

If I swap the RUTX50 for my ISP router with the same PPPoE connection info everything works as expected and I can reach the web.

What setting is missing? Apart from the PPPoE settings and Wi-Fi network names and passwords every thing is in factory default mode. Earlier this week I was checking the LTE/5G performance and could reach the web over the cellular interface.

Thank you,

Alvin
by anonymous

Hello,

Could you check if your LAN and WAN networks on the RUTX50 are on the same or on a different subnet? For example, if your WAN and LAN are both on the 192.168.1.0/24 network (both LAN and WAN interfaces on RUTX50 start with 192.168.1.x), then change the LAN network interface to something else, like 192.168.10.0/24. You can achieve this by editing your LAN interface and changing the IP address to 192.168.10.1. Make sure you scroll down in LAN settings and change DHCP start and end IPs to 192.168.10.100 and .249 respectively.

If the issue persists, I would like you to replicate the issue and generate a troubleshoot file. To replicate, simply turn on the device, configure PPPoE and try accessing the internet. Then, download a troubleshoot file from System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot. Attach this file by editing your question. The attached files are only visible to Teltonika moderators.

Kind Regards,

Andzej