FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
178 views 1 comments
by anonymous
I have on a vessel two RUTX11 routers using the same provider (Vodafone). Both of the use high gain external antennas, but different types of antennas. Also the vessel crosses different countries and the provider based configuration such as APN, Authentication, Roaming, Provider's contract are checked and fine. On Router1 the main antenna is an Poynting Omni 493.

The problem that I am facing is that despite on the web page both routers seem to have excellent or good signal, very often cannot connect to internet and have really unstable connection.

I have tried:
1. Device restarts (sometimes it helps)
2. Modem Reconnect (not work)
3. use Specific Bands country and operator based (not so effective)

Do you have something to recommend?

I am attaching you photos that can help the investigation

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Not the answer your looking for, but I have a similar issue using that rutx50 with four omni 493s. (4x4) onboard a ship using telstra network.

Signal strength is excellent

Problem seems to be signal to noise is too degraded.

I find when signal strength is between 65/75 then modem works well if it gets better than that, signal to noise degrades for some reason to the point through put is terrible.

I also have the issue that the modem connects to the strongest signal instead of an algorithm connecting to the tower with best throughput (via CA) or best signal to noise ratio, it would be great if an alternative option was to connect to different towers based of signal to noise feedback rather than signal strength.

Usually low capacity LTE small cells only support one band and it's usually a lower frequency band such as B28, as this is a lower frequency it will likely be the tower with best signal strength especially in a remote location hence you could try disable band28 lte (or whatever you use in your location as a low band frequency) and then see if the modem connects to a higher capacity cell, utilising CA, even if the signal strength is weaker you will likely have better throughput
by anonymous
It would be great if teletonika made a sort of "roaming installation" feature on there modems which could be enabled and provide an alternative algorithm for connecting to cells, but I'm not sure if that's even possible.