FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
212 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Hi!

How can I create a additional loopback interface on RUT955? For example lo2? ip - X.X.X.X/32

I have the task to encrypt traffic between modbus tcp-master (in internet) and modbus gateway (to RS232 on RUT955).

The idea is to create site-to-site VPN and specify a local network according RUT955 - loopback`s ip address X.X.X.X/32.

Will  modbus gateway daemon be able to accept connection from loopback lo2?

Thanks!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

While some people have been able to configure multiple loopback addresses on OpenWRT (refer here), it is not really the intended usage in this case.

LAN IP of the RUT955 could also be used to reach the Modbus Gateway, so if your LAN network is trusted, you could simply use the gateway address (192.168.1.1 by default) to reach the Modbus Serial Gateway. For example if IPsec is used (technically not a VPN, but the traffic is encrypted), you could allow the access to LAN, and simply direct the traffic to the gateway.

Or perhaps there is something I missed here?

Best regards,
DaumantasG

Best answer
by anonymous

Hi! 

I did, as you advise! Without loopback int, ant it works!

Thank you!