FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
320 views 2 comments
by anonymous
I need to use RUT240 as a simple router between 2 separate physical LAN networks using the physical interface WAN and LAN without connection to internet.

The idea is to use RJ45 WAN port to connect the 192.168.61.X network and RJ45 LAN port to connect the 192.168.71.X network , while it is necesseary to ensure access to the whole 192.168.71.X  network from a PC connected in 192.168.61.X network.

How to setup the router for the described function (if it is possible)?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Yes, this is possible.

The configuration will depend on your needs. Does RUT240 use the other router on the WAN side for internet access? Or does it use its own mobile connection for internet access?

You will need to allow traffic from wired WAN (since you have your own network there) in case the router on the WAN side is used for internet access. You can allow WAN access in Network -> Firewall by allowing input/output/forward. Firewall information can be found here.

In case RUT240 uses mobile connectivity for internet access, you will need to separate wired WAN from Mobile WAN in the firewall settings to allow traffic from Wired WAN, but block undesired traffic on Mobile WAN. Also, you will need to add a static route to route 192.168.61.X 255.255.255.0 network via a wired WAN interface. Static routes can be configured in Network -> Routing -> Static routes. Routing information here.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hallo, Andzej,

My idea is to use WAN without internet access, and Mobile connection only optionally for internet (Internet connection is accessible on the third network , not direct connected   to my networks), and it will be switched on in the case of main internet line failure, for instance by telephone call.

I have tried some settings according Your text, but i could´nt get it to run. Probably the descriptions in manual are not quite clear for me, and I am not very good at network routing. Would it be possible to describe more precisely the settings that You indicated in the previous answer?

Thank for help,

Best regards

Jozef
by anonymous

Hello,

Here is an example.

LAN interfaces:

Router1:

Router2:

WAN interfaces:

Router1:

Router2:

Routes:

Router1:

Router2:

Since you are planning on using a mobile interface for internet access sometimes, I suggest separating wired WAN and mobile WAN, as these are in the same firewall zone by default. This way, all traffic from wired WAN will be allowed, and the mobile interface will still filter unwanted traffic:

Edit WAN => Reject:

Create new firewall zone:

Kind Regards,

Andzej