FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
147 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

is there a way to store persistent data, for example custom device certs, somewhere in the flash which persists a factory reset?

Imho there must be some place because the routers still authenticate against the RMS after factory reset.

Kind regards

Dennis

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The only way to have default firmware with your own files is by compiling your own firmware image using a dedicated SDK package, which can be downloaded here.

Otherwise, there is a file /etc/sysupgrade.conf, where you can specify the files and directories to be kept, but they will only be preserved after firmware update with Keep settings option enabled.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Hi,

thanks for the fast reply.

May be a bit offtopic, but how is authentication data for the RMS stored in the router?
Since each device identifies against the RMS, even after factory reset/update without "keep settings", I assume that there must be some persistent but individual data stored in flash. I can upgrade an arbitary (rutOS)binary to the router and it still connects to the RMS so there must be some other persistent place which is not included in the firmware.

My goal behind this is to store application config data and maybe own authentication data independent of the OS.

Kind regards

Dennis
by anonymous
During the default state, there are no certificates or key files inside firmware or device itself. They are received during connection to RMS process. The only data to authenticate is LAN MAC of the device and its serial number, which are stored within a dedicated partition of the flash, written during the manufacturing of the device.

Best regards,