FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
881 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

we use the TRB142 to connect an old device with it's RS232 data interface to an external server.

Works great so far, but our customers need to have SSL/TLS encrypted data connections - are there any chances to get these RS232 TCP client connection within an SSL tunnel ?

In RUT955 we use an internal loopback to a listening stunnel socket, but I couldn't find anything comparable on the TRB142 yet.

Or is it possible to install an stunnel plugin ?

Thanks in advance for your help/ideas.

AndiMan

1 Answer

0 votes
by
You can easily use the OpenVPN tunnel.

Create an OpenVPN tunnel and use tunnel endpoint address for TCP/IP configuration in RS232 service.
by

Hi anonymous,

thanks for your idea - you're right, that's a possibility to encrypt the data on it's way through the internet, 

but it's not a simple SSL/TLS tunnel, it's far more (complicated) than stunnel.

Take HTTP for example, put it within a SSL/TLS tunnel and you get a HTTPS connection. 

That's what I need for the RS232 Data connection and that's what the server we are connecting to is expecting. On the RUT955 we use exactly this encryption with great success - and that's what I'm looking for on the TRBs.

AndiMan

by
Teltonika have best RnD team. Maybe they add stunnel into new TRB firmware.