FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
117 views 0 comments
by anonymous

I've had a RUT955 in a campervan for 2 years and never really been satisfied with the performance. I always assumed it was due to being in rural areas but now I'm more motivated to get it working properly and trying some more systematic tests I'm realising it barely works even when in close proximity to home wifi (client mode) and with very good 4G coverage. In each case it struggles to get above 20Mbps download, with high latency (sometimes several seconds). I've tried resetting to defaults via both the web UI and the reset button but to no avail. I've attached the troubleshoot file.

Firmware version RUT9_R_00.07.04.3

Firmware build date 2023-05-17 08:32:57

Internal modem firmware version EC25EUGAR06A03M4G_01.003.01.003

Kernel version 5.4.229

Is this device really not designed for browsing / streaming, or is there something wrong or misconfigured with mine?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

RUT955 should definitely be able to reach higher speeds than 20Mbps. I've run a quick speed test on RUT955 with an EC25-EU modem, and with a good signal, I was able to reach a download speed of 55Mbps down and 36Mbps up, with a latency of 25ms (14860403978). 

Here are the signal parameters during testing:

Looking at your troubleshoot file, it seems like you are connected to band 8, which operates in the 900MHz frequency range. This band (as well as band 20, and band 28 in the European continent) are designed to cover more area, rather than provide high throughput. Adding to that, the signal values are also quite poor, so you are either in an area with poor coverage, or antennas are not mounted properly.

Since the device is being used in a campervan, I'd recommend upgrading to an external omnidirectional antenna. Poynting is our partner who specializes in antennas and might be able to help you out.

Finally, if you are often in the same are, I'd also recommend exploring other carriers, as the coverage also highly depends on what capabilities the operator can offer.

Best regards,
DaumantasG