FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
542 views 0 comments
by
Hi all,

I have a very specific workflow in which I have a webserver that is connected to a RUT950.

On the webserver I have a little application running which receives the data from multiple FMB204-trackers and inserts that data in a database.

The theory behind this is quite simple, the only issue that I have is that my mobile provider is not giving me a public IP-address which means I can't use a dynamic DNS to forward all the data from my trackers to the webserver.

So I have two options right now:

• change mobile provider

• use a VPN-tunnel

Changing providers would be the easiest solution but it would mean I would have to get a subscription while I'm currently using prepaid cards since I don't need this continuously.

Using a VPN-tunnel could also work, but I have a few questions about this:

• when I use OpenVPN for example in the RUT950, can I still use a normal connection to the internet as well? So not passing through the VPN?

• can I set up a VPN-connection in the FMB204?

• is there a latency when using a VPN vs. using the normal internet?

If anybody can share any insight, that would be great.

Cheers,

Ken

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

According your description seems like you still need public IP for OpenVPN server.

Because RUT950 with private IP can work as VPN client, so server should be somewhere else where public IP is available.

So data from FMB should be sent to OpenVPN server, and from here should be forwarded to OpenVPN client (RUT950).