FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,623 views 3 comments
by
Hi i need a router to a boat. The router should have a wifi for the devices on the boat (I would be nice with ethernet ports to on the LAN side), the wan should primary be on a wifi net in the harbor, but when i sail out on the sea, i should automatical connect tho the LTE (Via SIM in the router).   The users on the WIFI net inside the boat sould not have to do anything...   When the boat returns home, it should connects the the known wifi net in the habor again...

Which router is the best solution for this..

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

From your information you need router with WAN failover function. Main WAN would be WiFi and backup WAN would be mobile yes? If so then RUT240, RUT950 and RUT955 can be used, they are LTE routers, they have from 2 to 4 Ethernet ports (RUT240 x2 Ethernet ports RUT9xx x4 Ethernet ports). To try and achieve what you have described simple open RUT WebUI and navigate to Network -> WAN, select wireless WAN (WiFi) as main and mobile WAN as backup. After that simple scan wireless network find your harbor WiFi and connect router to it, router will have internet access (and will provide internet access) via harbor WiFi, and now if you would to sail to the sea router would lose wireless connection to the harbor WiFi and will automatically switch to backup WAN (mobile) and also vice versa when sailing back to harbor when wireless network would be in the range of RUTxxx wireless network router should connect to it (switch back from mobile WAN to wireless WAN).
by
So, the mentioned routers are capable of using wifi as primary wan and at the same time also transmit a wifi network on the boat?
by anonymous
Yes, that is correct.
by
Hi,

I’m interested in a similar set up. Do you have any recommended external antennas that can be used for dual purpose....i.e. not at the same time but to be effective as WiFi fails and LTE takes on?

Thanks