FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
161 views 6 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

I want to use 2 different SIM cards from 2 different providers. The ISP towers are in different geographical directions.
I have 2 directional outdoor antennas, each with 2 SMA connectors. I would think it makes sense to point one antenna to one ISP tower and the other antenna to the other.

My question would be:

How to connect the 2 different Antennas to the device? Are the SIM card slots in the device connected to 2 connectors each, or are both SIM cards connected to all 4 connectors?

Do 2 directional antennas makes sense? Would it for example make more sense to use 2 omni-directional antennas instead?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.
thanks in advance!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

The router only has 1 modem thus only one SIM card can be active at the same time. The two sim cards are for there for failover purposes and are not able to work at the same time.
by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer!
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I want to use the 2 SIM cards as failover. SIM1 being the main internet source and SIM2 the failover. (No  wired WAN) Ideally SIM1 and SIM2 will have best possible connection, therefore the 2 Antenna idea.

We do a lot of live streaming and when the connection of SIM1 fails, the live stream should not get interrupted, but SIM2 takes over.
by anonymous
The live stream would get interrupted as it takes a few seconds to switch from one sim to another as it would need to register on the operator network.

Also, the public IP would change, and streaming services usually don't like that and some data would be dropped
by anonymous
Thanks, that is helpful to know. is there a device by Teltonika, that has 2 modems built in with failover? So, that switching between the 2 mobile networks will be faster. A short interruption is fine, but the shorter the better!
As far as I could research, the RUTX12 is the only device with 2 modems, and should do the job, right? ( I am aware of the Cat6 restrictions and fine with that)

I am very glad to have found this brand with great support and knowledgeable staff, thank you!
by anonymous
The only device with such a failover is RUTX12 with two CAT6 LTE modems
by anonymous
Great, I ll get the RUTX12 then.

Back to my original question:
Should I use 2 distinct directional antennas, each pointing to the individual ISP-provider tower? (if so, which antenna to which connector on the device?)
Or should I use 1 uni-drectional antenna?
Thanks!
by anonymous

Directional antennas are te way.

Two antennas pointing in different directions is the best option in your case as the sinals would be for different operators.

For live streaming, there is also the option to use Bondix, which would combine the data flows into one to the streaming service, meaning, even if one of the SIMs goes offline, the people watching the live stream would not notice.