FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
281 views 0 comments
by anonymous
I have an LTE outdoor antenna from Huawei as my secondary source of internet which is powered by huawei modem (model B2368-66). The admin page is atrocious (huawei) and I would like to have the ability to administer it all from the Teltonika interface, so I want to plug it directly into the WAN port. However, the antenna needs to be powered and I've been told that the antenna needs to be fed with 9watts max. Can my RUTX50 power the outdoor antenna via the WAN port or is an external power source necessary?

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Firstly, the RUTX50 has no PoE OUT on any RJ45 port.

Secondly, it only supports PoE IN on its LAN1 port to power the RUTX50. It should be noted that, if using PoE to power the RUTX50, it is not compatible with 802.3af or 802.3at so requires a PASSIVE PoE injector/converter that is able to deliver at least 18W of power, as this is the RUTX50's potential maximum power consumption with all interfaces on and utilising them. If considering this, then I use a Microtik RBGPOE-CON-HP converter, ensuring it is connected to an 802.3at port on the switch. An 802.3af switch port may suffice, depending on what you have enabled on the RUTX50 but be aware that the 802.3af standard only has around 15.4W of output power, and after cable losses are taken into consideration, this then lowers down to around 13W of delivered power. Also check your switch specification to ensure that it delivers the necessary power out on its PoE ports.

Not being familiar with Huawei devices, I'm not even sure your proposal would work or not. Is it just an 'antenna' or does it behave as a 'bridge'. Have you considered using a PoE injector to power the 'antenna'.

Hope this helps. 

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

RUTX50 can't provide power through its WAN port, as it doesn't support PoE out feature via WAN or any LAN port, which is why you'll need an external power source for your antenna (You can use one of our PoE Switches to provide power, TSW100 for example).

I recommend checking whether the B2368-66 antenna is compatible with external routers before testing it with RUTX50.

Best regards,
Ismail