FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
441 views 1 comments
by anonymous

Hi

What is a realistic Wi-Fi speed exception for a RUT360? 

Following looking through posts relating to "slow wi-fi" I have:-

1. Checked Wi-Fi antennas are tight
  2. Firmware update to: RUT36X_R_00.07.04.3
  3. Wi-Fi Transmit Power is: 100%
  4. Wi-Fi Country Code: GB
  5. Wi-Fi Encryption: WPA-PSK
  6. Wi-Fi Cipher: Auto
  7. Firewall Software flow offloading: On

I have been through varying configurations and the best speeds I have seen via Wi-Fi is 60mbps. Average high 30mbps. But the speed is not consistent dropping considerably at times, consecutive tests will drop off sometimes to as low as 10mbps.

Whilst we have a 4G SIM installed, the connection for testing purposes is provided via ethernet WAN which delivers 100-150mbps.

When I test via the RUT360 ethernet wired LAN interface connection I get 90mbps. So I am left to believe the issue is the Wi-Fi interface.

The use case for the RUT360 is an Access Point for a WAN connection of around the 100-200mbps speed and then failover to 4G (at which ever speed that will be) when WAN is disconnected. As the requirement is for a connection with an average of 100mbps the Wi-Fi needs to be able to deliver this. We selected the RUT360 as it has 4G (LTE) – Cat 6 up to 300 Mbps and WAN 10/100 Mbps combined with 2.4ghz 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi which suggest the Wi-Fi should deliver a maximum of 100mbps when WAN is connected and potentially higher via 4G... but I am seeing nothing like the Wi-Fi performance I would expect from a device with these standards.

Is the our RUT360 faulty, is our configuration incorrect… Troubleshoot file attached.

Or are we just being unrealistic and the RUT360 is simply not suitable for our use case… In which case which unit would?

Thanks in advance 

Laurie

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

I see nothing wrong in your configuration, and the issue most likely lies in the device's limitations.

As you have mentioned, the speed of router's ports is 10/100 Mbps, which already puts an upper limit to maximum achievable speeds, if the internet is provided through a wired link.

If not already done, a higher wireless channel width (40MHz) can be configured and tested or another, less congested channel.

As for the LTE speeds, the 300Mbps is a theoretical limit and only in download direction. In reality, radio, specifically mobile, communications are influenced by many independent factors due to which, with LTE Cat 6, speeds less than 100Mbps should be expected during majority of device's operating time, which, of course, impact the performance of WiFi as well.

In terms of mobile connectivity, most of Teltonika Networks portfolio uses LTE Cat 6 modems. As an alternative, RUTX12 can be considered, which has two Cat 6 modems. In practice, it will not increase speed for a single connection, but will allow for multiple connections to maintain higher speeds, as they can be distributed between two mobile links in load balancing mode.

Another device to consider is RUTX50. It comes with LTE Cat20 and is 5G capable, which allows for speeds way above several hundred Mbps.

Both devices offer 10/100/1000Mbps speed ethernet ports and 802.11ac support, which is an upgrade in comparison to RUT360, and will provide higher speeds.

Best regards,
by anonymous

Thanks for your advice and reviewing our configuration.

I had tried 20/40MHz tests and actually found 20 to be quicker, but there is potentially congestion from the main office network, I should try different channels.

But it certainly does look like a case of WiFI 4 an 10/100 mbps LAN/WAN port resulting in the speeds I am seeing.

The RUTX50 looks like a good candidate, thank you for the suggestion.

The TCR100 looks like it could be a good fit, whilst it only as 10/100mbps WAN creating a limit, the Dual-Band with 2.4 GHz & 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies should allow most of that to be realised into Wi-Fi

Thanks again for your reply.